I Forge Iron

Help dating a Trenton Anvil

Hi all,

I recently picked up a Trenton Anvil in the hundred pound range.  I don't have a scale to weigh it, but it's definitely in that ballpark.  I can't quite make out all the markings and the spacing seems very odd on the serial number.  I tried chalk and a few other methods to make them stand out and this is the best I got.

?60  8 09   20?  If I had to guess, I'd say it's R60 809 209 but that is very likely wrong.  What do you folks think?

IMG_3170.thumb.jpg.5cd2e2312529a69690ef5d6f8857826d.jpg

IMG_3167.jpg

IMG_3172.jpg

IMG_3173.jpg

IMG_3169.jpg

Edited by Mike Flynn
Resizing photos

The American Trentons have the weight stamped in the left side of the foot (looks like 100 to me) the number to the right is the serial number, although that has a space between the first and second set which I have not seen. Looks like 809 200 to me. If that's the srn someone with a copy of AIA should be able to give a date of mfg. range. This thread has some interesting info on the Trenton's

FWIW, I think the last number on the anvil is a 9 rather than a zero.  It's too narrow between the outside edges compared to the zero next to it, and the visible curve on the left looks like a tighter circle than a zero.  So if we guess that the serial number is 809 209, is anyone able to date that?

Thanks again for the help and the terrible jokes!

Yep, that's why I need help figuring this one out. :D  I haven't found any other examples of this numbering pattern...  Maybe that 8 is actually a 2?  I'm gonna go look at it again.

Yep, I think that might be a 2, with some unfortunately placed dimples making it look like an 8.

So that would make it 209 209 or 209 200.

EC25F3FC-4CBF-433B-974B-988DED932BB3.jpeg