I Forge Iron

Punch sets

Welcome aboard. It would be helpful to know where in the world you are located. Here in the U.S. what you want to make is called a drift. punches usually have a sharp point, where drifts have a flat point to drive out pins. Just a matter of semantics really. I make most of my drifts & punches out of 4130 or 4140 steel or spring steel like coil springs from automobiles or garage door springs for the smaller one's and leave them normalized. For center punches and chisels, I quench in oil and temper them to straw or blue.

This thread may help you out.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/66472-a-collection-of-questions-i-have-about-punches/

18 hours ago, Irondragon ForgeClay Works said:

Here in the U.S. what you want to make is called a drift. punches usually have a sharp point,

this statement is not accurate I have a few handled punch tools with 3/8 inch diameter faces as well as a set in his size range for removing pins as well

I am in South Africa, the person that asked me to make these punches , don't want the punches that you buy at the tool store ,he wants me to make them, i now have an idea of what steel to use ,my next question is ,do i just hammer the steel to 3mm thickness!!? Phew! Can it be done? 

You probably could, but it might be easier to get it part of the way at the anvil and then grind it to final thickness after heat treatment. If you have a drill and a belt grinder you can grind it while spinning the punch using the drill to get it more round than trying to do it by hand. There are probably better ways, this is just what comes to my mind.

Let us know how it turns out!

By the way if you put your general location in your profile it will help others remember where you are located after they leave this tread. Often location plays a role in the way questions are answered and there are members from all over the world here on IFI, some may even be in your area!

Good Morning, Albert

Roll Pin Punches have a tiny ball that centers it in the hole of the Roll Pin as well as a square shoulder around the outside of the ball, that pushes on the Roll Pin. Two different functions, 1 = keeps the punch centered on the roll pin, 2 = provides a face to push square, on the outer end diameter of the roll pin. You can make them with a metal lathe, or, you can use an electric hand drill with a switch that will lock in the ON position. The hand drill now becomes your Lathe. Hold the drill firmly (between 2 boards, held with clamps or a Vice with a rag wrapped around your drill. Careful File work will fulfill your needs. Heat Treat not too hard, better tough.

Neil