I Forge Iron

1095 quench failed.Help.

Not to be a too snarky, but you check hardness with a file, not a magnet. 

Nonmagnetic for steel only happens at high temp (around 1400F). I can’t remember the crystalline structures that cause this... materials classes were too long ago. Others may come along and give more details if needed.

David 

Above the curie temp steel becomes non-magnetic; as it cools below the curie temp it becomes magnetic again.  Being magnetic has very little to do with hardness---save that all steel gets softer at elevated temps!

Now as steel heats up it goes from a body centered cubic crystalline form, exp: ferrite, to a face centered cubic form---exp. Austenite. If quenched at the correct speed for they alloy used; you get Martensite which is hard and brittle. You trade some of the hardness and brittleness for toughness by tempering.

WAY over simplified!  As mentioned you check hardness with a file and beware that s decarb layer can seem soft where the interior is hard---new bladesmiths often decarb their blades without knowing it.

If you're just starting out I would also recommend using 1060 to 1084 rather than 1095.  1095 benefits from a soak time at a controlled temperature, which is a bit difficult to with a backyard forge.  It's better to use alloys that are very forgiving in the forging range and in the heat treatment specs until you get a handle on the processes.

18 hours ago, DBUDD0872 said:

I`m new at quenching 1095.

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be able to hook up with members within visiting distance. Any time you can spend with experienced smiths is worth MANY X  as much time trying to figure it out yourself.

You need to do more reading and start with a less finicky alloy. As said, 1095 is pretty tricky to heat treat and no offense you just don't know enough to expect success. 

I'm not trying to discourage you but you're way over your head right now and bound to fail many times before you start making good blades. That isn't a dis, making blades is actually a pretty complex process no matter who you are. There are some darned good books for the beginning bladesmith a couple of the authors are members of Iforge. You need to have a basic level of knowledge just to be able to ask good questions let alone understand the answers. Honest, it's just a fact of life. Everybody starts at zero and climbs the learning curve, nobody's born knowing this or any stuff.

Frosty The Lucky.