I Forge Iron

Frosty T burners with a 90°

Gmeads

So I've built a propane tank forge and put in two frosty T burners vertically.  During the first tests I'm having issues with the burners burning efficiently and intermidently.  Is this because of them just sucking in the heat and fire coming from the exit and entrance?  Is it possible for me to put in a 90° and another pipe to make them an L shape to get the tops away from the heat or did I just mess up totally by putting them veritcal

159821081256049741308347390061.jpg

The pipe is a 1" pipe and I think it's a 2" outside diameter on the open ends.  It was a prebuilt set and they burn really really good when they aren't in the forge and just laying on the ground

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

Then they're not Frosty Ts are they? You have to make them yourself from my plans to actually be a "Frosty" T. Using a 1.75" x 1" T isn't a big deal it can be tuned. Putting two 1" burners in a forge that small will mean back pressure issues and make large openings necessary. 

Yes, the burners are probably breathing exhaust from the forge. I've never had luck putting an elbow on the mixing tube, even a 45.

Frosty The Lucky.

The mixing tubes are already too long, making them longer is contraindicated. 

Two 3/4" Ts is well more than necessary so back pressure might be an issue but I'm betting it's getting exhaust gas with the combustion air.

Frosty The Lucky.

What would be your suggestion to proceed then?  Am I just going at it the wrong way or is there a specific direction I should go to make this forge work properly?

Would I be better adding in a way to funnel in fresh air to the T's?

Edited by Mod34
Excessive quoting

Exhaust gasses are exiting the forge openings, flowing up and being sucked into the burners. Perhaps you can deflect the exhaust to one side. Perhaps some sort of channel to bring in clean air. 

The sure fix would be to build another forge with the burners entering at an angle from one side or even horizontally to get them out of the exhaust plume. 

I keep a coupe sheets of 14ga. (because that's what I had) on the shelf under the too large shop forge to deflect the exhaust plume away from my burners and that forge has been in use in my shop for probably 25 years. 

NARB forge doesn't have any problem with exhaust, those inducers are mounted horizontally towards the back, away from the opening. The forge in the background of the pic has burners mounted like yours and sputters from it's own exhaust.

Frosty The Lucky.

1626530341_NARBinforge01.jpg.25d9978e5e3970a2fb1f1423e7badf10.jpg

Well I went ahead and just drilled out two more holes at the 45° mark of the tank and did a quick test and I think that's going to be what makes the difference so I've got to plug holes and remount the collars and probably still add a deflector to the front because the front burner still sputtered a bit

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quote

Oooh, you move fast! :) 

There might be a breeze in the shop blowing exhaust towards the burner, try turning the forge a little at a time and see if it helps. If you're going to use bricks as door baffles closing the side of the doorway closest to the burners and leaving the far side open might help more. Sometimes it takes a few little things.

Frosty The Lucky. 

^ It’s amazes me just how much just a tiny bit of ambient air movement can impact naturally aspirated burners.

From 30’ away I can have my fan running on high at the back of the shop and if it’s even slightly off angle from my forge I have no issues. However, if I happen have a slight breeze come through the rear window in a straight line to the forge I get sputtering until the forge reaches temperature. 

We moved the burners off on an angle and this weekend we are going to add a baffle above the front and rear holes to keep exhaust from affecting the burners.  Once we get everything insulated and refractory put in I think we are going to be in business