I Forge Iron

Trying to make a wrought face welded hammer

Momatt

I want to try a welded face wrought hammer.  I scrounged up some wrought, mostly half inch round bar and forge welded it up. I thought that would be the tricky part but I have a very nice  solid 1.4 pound billet about an 1-3/8 square.   Should not have punched the eye yet but at least I remembered that before I drifted it. Can’t get a piece of 1084 to stick to the face. My forge door isn’t wide enough to get it in there vertical with the steel face sitting on top. I tried to make the little chiseled tabs on the face but it’s not working. I’m going to try getting the hammer piece white hot quick Setting on the anvil vertically then going back to the forge for the face and quickly setting it on and tapping next. Fun project but not very successful yet.  There is a YouTube video of a guy doing that and I looks way to cold but sticks like magic. 

5B0EE146-525F-4D25-9D11-33F3F8450448.jpeg

61D1E29F-FA51-42B5-9F72-2EF7FAE83FB9.jpeg

B1703ABE-ED57-4082-B4AE-6C9EA0D1949C.jpeg

What problems did you have with the chiseled points? When I have done it, I was going for four 1/2” points. There seemed to be a sweet spot on thickness of the points. If the were too thick, they seemed to just fall out of the wrought iron, and too thin would break or bend out of the way. Could all be in my head though...

These are fun projects!

David

Thomas,  your question is what I ask myself all the time. Same reason that awful looking billet is held together with a hose clamp!!!  I need to go buy a welder!

benona, I will post the link. Would love to hear yours and others thoughts on the forge weld tack. It looks about 300 degrees below welding temp!!! 

Please watch the first 39 seconds of this video. How on earth did he get it to stick?

moderators I apologize if I’m not supposed to post a link. 

I know there is a heat reserve in larger stock but man, I never get anything to stick if I don’t hit as soon as it kisses  the anvil. I rarely waste the time even to brush before the initial weld. Never seen such a relaxed approach to a forge weld. My welds even if it’s just an axe bit always look like drop tong welds on skinny stock where you move like a mad man moving as fast as you can and it’s too cold a few seconds out of the forge.