I Forge Iron

Got that post vise...

tom_ET

hey there,

discussed already a bit in my intro thread but fits better here I guess.

Am in Addis for a Job and took the opportunity to buy an Anvil in "Minalesh Terra" (you could translate that as "whatever area".
You can get anything used there. 

So while I was searching for that Anvil, I found this post vise and finally decided to spend those 160 USD.. Jaws are 12.2cm, the total height is 93cm.

legvise.thumb.jpg.535bac92322d163b2737e2afaec8a6d3.jpg

Screw looks all like the short visible piece on the pic. I didn't really check the screw housing, was a bit difficult to do in that crowded place. Also I guess the jaws are pretty fine still. 

legvise_screw_jaws.thumb.jpg.e5cd9498435c00821d619fea5a55519c.jpg

Couldnt get him down, he was only willing to add this little hand vise.  The 3 hammers, I also found laying around and got together for ca. 14 USD. 

hammers-and-handvise.jpg.8761ad5e7687f34a4e31660467b8f6ca.jpg

The ball-peen with the handle (which also needs replacement) is 1lb, so I guess the cross-peen is maybe 1.5 or 1.25, the small one will be 0.5-0.75 lb ?!

Wouldn't mind at least one heavier one. 

Also took this engineering vise, not anymore turnable, somebody welded that together. paid 60 USD. Not sure if that was such a deal.

Then again. what you get new, is all Chinese (and I don't think the good Chinese), and more expensive at the same time.

engineering-vise.jpg.dbbfe4389a940421370c7eb6779e32d6.jpg

I think you did alright, I can't say for sure, I have zero experience with what stuff sells for in the whatever areas in your neighborhood. I haven't rotated a bench vise in years and being welded solid only means you have to give thought to where you mount it.  It's maybe a little high but not bad, it's hard to have a shop without a good vise.

Frosty The Lucky.

Yeah, I am already happy I did it. 

BTW:

- It has 12.2 cm, that is neither 4", nor 5", not even 4.5". Germans adopted metric system in the 19th century, so I guess they simply wanted 12 cm? 

- Thomas (and others?) were speaking about "robustus" and "gracile" types and obviously there are limitations to how much you should pound on your vise. 
I guess I will develop some kind of feeling when working on the tools but can you give me examples of what could and what should not anymore be done on such a vise.

Well on my 4" vise, gracile, I top out working 6.35 x 25.4 mm strap stock hot, or 12 mm sq stock, of course a meter away from it is a 152.4 mm robustus and I have worked the same size strap stock cold on it.

Put it another way; on my light one I wouldn't use any hammer larger than 2 pounds, .9 kg. On the heavy large vise, I've used an 8# sledge, 3.62 kg. I realize that having several vises I may be more willing to risk them; but I have never "retired" a vise due to damage to it done while I was working on it!

Oh, read this after my other thread,  (where I repeated the question in combination with the Anvil, where I am also wondering what are the limits), cool, thanks. 

So this is roughly a 4", you've seen the photos, would you call this a robustus or a gracile?