I Forge Iron

Howdy from Indiana

g910

Figured I’d post the ubiquitous newby intro post. 

I’m getting ready to start work on my 2nd foundry and a larger forge and decided I better get some proper help/info since I’m delving into ceramic fiber rather than IFB, a google search led me here to a good bit of reading to start. 

Thanks for having me!

- Jay

16 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

So what sorts of things are you interested in making?  How long you been at it?  Any specials skills or interests?  Are you a member of the IBA? Been to Quad-State yet?  

I’ve only been at smithing for a few months, finally got a proper beginner anvil back in February (76# A&H). Any time I can spend at the anvil, in the shop, or just outside is interesting to me. Hahaha I’ve been welding/fabricating for about 17 years though, very hobby level. (Just got my first TIG machine back in Jan, and am teaching myself.) 

Not an IBA member yet, and haven’t been to Quad-State yet, but guess I’m blessed as it’s only ~65 miles from home. 

So far I’ve been concentrating on making tools and getting some projects done around the house. (Hooks! Hahaha)

A towel hook for my master bathroom is what got me interested in smithing. I shoulda just went to Walmart. Hahaha 

Kidding... my wife and wallet agree, but this has all been way too much fun. 

When I was looking for a wife in my late 20's; having a lady that was passionate about a craft of her own was a major item I was looking for. That way I know she would understand why I wanted to spend the time and $$ on old rusty equipment and understand that "one of each" was never enough!   Now I was hoping for her craft and my craft to not be the same as we would end up having forge and anvil and shop contention. 

I lucked out; my wife is a spinster, we are a "steel-wool couple". We've been married going on 36 years in August and I have never told her she had too many spinning wheels or too much fiber. I've always packed an empty army duffle bag in my luggage when we go travelling, (and carried the fiber full one on the way home.) Including on international trips. In return my 20'x60' shop out back is jam packed with rusty/dirty/oily stuff and she has helped me buy way more equipment than I deserve.

My wife points out that if I had spent the same time and money in a bar over the years I would be dead by now---one way or another!

I used to live in Columbus Ohio and go to Q-S every year. Now living 1500 miles away; I only get out every couple of years; always hitting the "WoolGathering" in Yellow Springs for her and Quad-State for me and seeing 2 sets of kids and grandkids along the way.

I may be hard to identify at quad-state; but I have been told that the Aloha shirt, Lederhosen and the red felt hat with horns on it is a dead giveaway....(I wear the shirt and hosen, weather permitting, on the Friday of Quad-State in memory of a smithing friend of mine who recognized a SF quote I had tossed off on a smithing website once.)

welcome to IFI,   As an aid to people, we have a t shirt that IFI sells with Thomas picture on it from the stone age, there is a photo of it somewhere on the forum

Also you may want to come up with a different screen name before you offend too many members here.  Most of us are not used to being in the presence of deity

Very nice! 

And yes, I encourage her to buy anything and everything for her hobbies (The new $500 Cricut machine is being delivered sometime this week.) I buy her material for her alcohol inks and wreaths, otherwise she’s a baker. She does wedding cakes, etc. 

Thanks Steve, I always have to explain my username and I understand why.  You’ll notice it’s not capitalized, as I am nobody’s God. I had a friend die in high school and his time of death was 9:10. 

“God acted at 9:10” is the idea. I’ve been god910 the internet across for some odd 23 years now. 

Small "g"; the bible is full of them along as the one large G one.   Shall we mention who else is on that shirt? (I must look for your maker's mark next time I visit the Blackwater Draw site near Clovis...)

god910; the problem is; how will we refer to you in posts?  Many folks end up with a nickname or initials when their username is odd; we could just refer to you as "g".  Of course if any of the Moderators are irritated they can ask for a name change; Decimus Junius Brutus Albinus; is currently not in use...

the Shirt also has Frosty and Dale Russell and me, on a wall drawing from a cave in France, some of the original curmudgeons.

My Makers mark is simply Fenris over the word Forge, not very creative, but everything I came up with was already being used

I usually just put my name in my signature, but this site appears to not have signatures? It’s been quite some time since being involved with any online forums, perhaps this is the new norm. 

And I found the shirt, and think I found TP, hopefully he’s higher resolution in real life. Hahaha 

Welcome aboard, glad to have you. Iforge has more than 50,000 subscribed members in at least 150 countries around the world representing I have no idea how many cultures and faiths. Many faiths including one REAL BIGGY considers taking the lord's name in vain a stoning offense. Some sects do anyway and I don't know many Christians who would look favorably either.  It's not how you mean a thing, it's how OTHERS take them that counts.

Perhaps show a little consideration for folk who WILL look at your login as blasphemy and pick another. 

Frosty The Lucky.