I Forge Iron

Best scraps make tongs from?

M.G.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Noise shouldn't be much of an issue as my next door---across the field---neighbor irrigates with a dedicated diesel engine connected to a 8" output pump.  I'd have to be egregious to out noise that; of course he is on Farm land and I'm on House land. If I could have kept that field I'd qualify for Farm zoning...but couldn't have afforded our house.

My big sales are generally at the State Fair, I don't know if they will be having it this year and it generally was a couple of hundred; nice scrapyard money but not what I need to call down lightening from the heavens, Mwa-hahahahahahahahaha...

I thought about drilling down into the Socorro Magma Bubble for heat/steam; but it turns out the state is fussy about magma powered home smithies.

I could rig up a small engine to run the powerhammer as they don't care how the shaft get's spun---I saw water driven, both wheel and turbine, air hammers in Germany; but the increase in production would require power to my Bader, a tumbler, Lights, etc. (And the welder would be nice...)

Drat, nobody seems to want a kidney, extra sweet!

I have a cunning plan; I'm going to tell my wife that we are moving out to the place we looked at further out---dirt road, 4000 sq ft shop, 600 sq ft house.  Then I won't have this problem anymore and everyone can come to the estate sale...

Don't ask the State permission to build a magma powered smithy, home, whatever. I don't tell them anything if I can avoid it. Bunch of professionally unimaginative busy bodies. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Considering that we're within hearing distance of several of the blast pads at the Energetic Materials Research and Training Center at a State University; perhaps I might be able to work out something legit.  Now what to do with the "waste" Magma?

I'd stop short of drawing magma but that's just me.

I'm sure they could use another really large lake on the Colorado. I'm thinking there's enough space to handle a couple few generations of household power supply waste magna.

What's wrong with a heat exchanger, water down steam up and heat pump for temp?

Frosty The Lucky.

20th century too new fangled? A direct magma tap is soo Victorian though I suppose if you use lots of plumbing and brass, maybe even a Fulton walking beam engine it'd punk up nicely.

They should've hired a consultant from one of the Alaskan towns that do everything with geothermal, free electric is nice. If you'd like a cold drink of water it comes from the fridge. 

Frosty The Lucky.

So few of the old engines that weighed in the tons per horse power are still in use; everyone is all tied up with speed, speed, speed these days.  Folks actually don't want a crew of 6  to run a prime mover in their shops anymore!

Now if I could convert the neighbors' dogs barking to power I'd be lighting up the state!

Should be able to get one cheap. Make people wanting some adventure pay YOU to crew your power station. However a direct magma tap would let you build a lava wheel to power everything. You could have one of your pay for the privilege power station crew sell tickets to the tourists. Get it right and the outflow would be semi solidified lumps that'd roll downhill. Nice souvenirs eh?

Frosty The Lucky.

I remember seeing that video and yes, earlier B&W. I'll bet folk have been using lava in similar ways since we started making things. The one time I've been to Hawaii you could buy souvernirs made from lava though I wondered how that was supposed to effect your luck and if the folks selling them were in for worse. Folks were using St. Helens ash as glaze and firing into ash trays, bowls and such. I collected and used ash from the 86(?) eruption of St. Augustine in a tumbler. Not so great as a polish. 

Frosty The Lucky.

There used to be a video on YouTube (now thankfully removed) of someone with more guts than brains attempting to harden a sword blade by immersing it in a lava flow and then emptying his water bottle on it.

It was not a success.