I Forge Iron

PSA: This is not an anvil

I'm not a rookie, but I made a rookie mistake I'll share with you folks as a public service announcement.  I responded to an ad on FB marketplace for an anvil.  Pics were clear-ish, but dimensions were not.  Seller made no claims of weight.  I made a deal to meet the guy halfway, 80 miles from my house.  Ended up he was running so late that I went all the way to his place.  Instead of meeting at 8 pm as agreed, I ended up at his house by 10:30 and back home by midnight.  We loaded it in the dark.  All along I'm thinking some kind of sawyer's anvil.  He had repeatedly not provided dimensions, and I knew it was smaller than I'd hoped, but still a useful size.  I looked it over with my phone light and paid the man. 

So what I ended up with was this:  A cool looking cast iron 75 lb. tractor weight.  It has about 40% rebound, and I'll use it, but it sure as heck ISNT an anvil. I'll keep it around and maybe take it to demos or something, or use it as a cutting plate, or IDK yet. 

97BE7AA3-782A-49DD-A7C8-22F4B3C69620.jpg

Dang it, Thomas, now I have another rabbit trail I didn't need.  Saw a guy who rigged a trebuchet with the pivot only about 1 meter high to throw a tennis ball at 100 mph with only 15 kg of weight.  Now I'm thinking about how much velocity you could get out of a 75 lb weight throwing concrete dixie cups :)

Just remember the weight CAN only fall so fast so a heavier counter weight doesn't make a faster throw. Provided the trebouchet isn't near it's max throw weight of course. 

I always thought I'd try altering the counter to fling arm ratio while adding weight.  Instead of 1:3, 1:4 with an undiminished fall time should provide 33% more velocity. Of course that's just my thinking, not calculated or based on knowledge.

Frosty The Lucky.

You can add a spring to add a bit more umph at the start---like some of the tilt hammers did with a flexible board pushing down on the helve as it reached max height.  As far as smithing goes the "trigger" mechanism is probably the most notable part and may require a lot of tweaking to get it just right to hold under a lot of force but give way under a reasonable amount.  Sir Ralph  Payne-Gallwey; once curator of ancient weapons in the British Museum once built a catapult and information on it is found as an appendix to his work on the Crossbow.

Using springs as the motive force for a trebuchet is simply a modern update of the original traction trebuchet. I believe there's an entire division of the Pumpkin Chunkin competition devoted to such machines.

Are you familiar with stone bows?  A type of crossbow designed to fling rocks; once used for hunting birds...  Also crossbows could get quite large when mounted on castle walls, the Metropolitan Museum of Art in NYC has one with a 1100 pound draw weight.  Using the cranequin to span it only takes 15# however but a LOT of turns cranking it.   (Steel bow and steel, blacksmith made gears in the cranequin.)

John; not as the only motive force; but  as a booster to get it from full stop to moving allowing the gravity weights to not waste time/energy going from static friction to rolling friction.

As for springalds, onagers, mangonels, ballistas they all have pluses and minuses; some being more easily used from atop a castle wall than others.  But the Trebuchet was generally the easiest and safest to build, gravity being a fairly easy force to deal with rather than various types of spring tension.