I Forge Iron

Blower gears stuck

Kkahsshsh

Take the cover off and look in there.. Also look into the fan casing and see if something is jamming it. Most blowers are between 32:1 and 48:1   thus it only takes about 1/4 lbs or less to hold the fan handle still but the handle will need a ton of force to move it..  The ratio advantage is on the fans side. 

Welcome aboard... I always recommend reading this to get the best out of the forum.  READ THIS FIRST   What others have said works, a good cleaning unless there is damage to a gear which will be apparent when the cover is off. A couple of pictures of the blower will help and knowing where in the world you are located will too. Is there a name or numbers on the blower? Is it hand cranked or electric? If you don't have access to PB Blaster or Kroil, a 50/50 mix of acetone and automatic transmission fluid will work just as well if not better.

9 minutes ago, Irondragon Forge & Clay said:

That would be a Champion blower. Have you tried any of the advice given? Pictures of the blower with the cover off.

Yes I have i got it losend up but some of the teeth on the gears are broken what should I do about that?I tryed uploading the photo but they failed when i was  transferring them to upload.

Broken gear teeth can be a serious issue.  Though some gears that can still be purchased have the same diametrical pitch and tooth count, a lot of this old stuff used pitches that are no longer standard so are nearly impossible to get these days.

One option in something like this can be to weld back material where the teeth are missing and carefully file that back to a proper tooth profile.  Because these kids of gears aren't pushed to their limits, that can often get you by. It's not "great" but it's better than throwing more $ into a blower than it's worth.  Cast iron gears can usually be filled with stainless material and not have the cracking issues of welding cast iron...with care.  Stainless isn't as wear resistant but it is adequate in most cases.

Does it have a cast iron fan shroud? I have a Champion blower where the shroud was broken. I'll check the gear status tonight. If it's the same model the easiest thing might be to just swap the gear box as gears generally wear into each other.

I also have the original stand for it.

Yup, Mine is a Champion Lancaster #40; the gear train looks very good, for the top 3 gears; I haven't taken the flashlight to try to look at the lowest gear yet.  The fan spider looks pretty good too.  Handle and counterweight present and the fan turns---I rotated the two big gears to check all their teeth by spinning the fan by hand.  It has the 3 countersunk bolts to fasten it to the fan shroud.   Let me know if you are interested and we can move this over to tailgating...