I Forge Iron

Quench Tank from Hydraulic Reservoir

A while back, this square tank on wheels followed me home from the industrial surplus warehouse (I think it was originally the reservoir from a hydraulic unit). Today, I finally got around to converting it into a quench tank. The two sections of the lid are made from 1/16" plate salvaged from another warehouse find, and the handle is 1/4" round.

A429A866-7171-45BB-AA22-50B5B225A0EC.jpeg

B7ACB72D-9941-4302-ADB1-389D9BC33514.jpeg

The interior is in two sections, with holes connecting them near the top. I’ve added a hinged lid to the quenching section, with the other half available for overflow.

BB93A628-AFA8-463B-9747-DC228CD771FA.jpeg

The lid for the overflow section drops down to rest on two ledges of angle iron. I cut these shorter at the back, so that I can tilt the lid up by pushing down at that end.

F44FC23B-7826-403F-8F8A-48289993B2B5.jpeg

BF9C43F4-4A2B-4167-AAF4-E607C1DBA455.jpeg

The whole thing fits nicely under the solid-fuel forge when not in use. 

E35E42D6-1F78-4F1E-B529-75019C7C97D6.jpeg

If I ever get into long blades, I'll make a tall quench tank for those, but I think this will be good for just about everything else I do these days.

Well, that's debatable, IFC.  Have  you ever tried to roll a container filled with liquid..........especially if it's on fire and your are in a panic?  It could slop everywhere.  But I don't think he'll have any kind of a problem with that situation because it's got lids on both tanks and they would easily put out a fire, I'd think.  The wheels will just be nice to be able to carefully roll it out of the way when not in use.

Yes, it goes outside before quenching. If there’s a flare-up, I’ll slap the lid shut.

The old quench tank was a medium-size stockpot inside a large stockpot, which I would carry in and out as needed. I’m glad to be able to roll this one. 

Nice John, I like it don't even  mind you stowing it under the forge too much. The easy closing flip shut lids are better fire suppression than quenching outdoors. While wildly unlikely an oil fire in the yard or driveway COULD get away from you, say a sudden gust of wind flowing flaming oil or something absorbent into the burning oil. Wildly unlikely like I said but not impossible. However, if the quench oil boils up and catches a quick flip of the tongs or piece being quenched closes the lid and smothers the fire. Better than a big fire extinguisher.

Keeping the lids closed is about the only thing I can think of for an excuse for stowing a vat of flammable oil UNDER the forge.

Frosty The Lucky.

I know I forget most anything at the drop of a random hat John but I don't recall knowing it was under the coal forge. Just went back to reread and nope, you don't mention coal forge, just the forge. I didn't look terribly closely at the table thingy it's under in the pic but knowing it's your coal forge it looks like one. . . Now. 

It's not that I don't have confidence you'll apply good sense to this kind of thing but I didn't want a newcomer thinking under the forge was a good place for the quench tank. 

Think of the bad influences seen almost every episode of FIF, heck one guy almost burned his garage and home down on camera quenching a sword in a too small tank IN the garage. How about all the guys quenching blades in plastic. . . PLASTIC :o buckets! 

I try to counteract some of the nonsense when I can and I'm sort of anal about new folk and safety. 

Frosty The Lucky.

47 minutes ago, Frosty said:

I don't recall knowing it was under the coal forge.

Behold:

22 hours ago, JHCC said:

The whole thing fits nicely under the solid-fuel forge when not in use. 

Point taken about providing good examples of safe shop practice, though.