I Forge Iron

J.R.Lindsay Anvil

Hey all! I just made an account in hopes to learn more from everyone here and to share/HOPEFULLY get a real estimated Production date on my anvil. 

It is 230 pounds

J. R. Lindsay

Pittsburgh

with a Number 1 stamped on the left side of the foot. 

It’s measurements are 12.5 inches tall, 5 inches wide, and 29.25 inches long. I believe the Pritchett hole is 1/2 and the hardy is 1 1/4

It has a 3/4 inch steel face and appears to be forged by hand due to hammer blows throughout the sides, heel and horn. The horn is also crooked. Any information would be greatly appreciated!

Baker

EDIT: VOLUME WARNING FOR VIDEO. SHE RINGS LIKE A CHURCH BELL

ED63351D-397A-4726-8197-B818AB269CFB.jpeg

D0BB9FD5-5057-4807-B0ED-2594D264C5E3.jpeg

AD1340DE-455A-489C-98F4-E2A67F2D1208.jpeg

2CCEE3AB-0405-4F80-9931-58BC0C18017B.jpeg

2EA4A81A-EAD2-4D81-8F07-0824EE965A4B.jpeg

Welcome aboard Baker, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

That's one ANNOYING video! There's no good reason to use a heavy hammer to check the ring, a 8oz. ball pein is more than enough. A bearing ball test will tell you the important things and a 3/8" bearing ball rests unnoticed in a pocket. 

Nice looking anvil, no idea when or where it was made. Is it important? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome to IFI. I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST   It is full of tips like editing your profile to show your location and many others.

Could that be Lindsey? I have seen Lindsey farrier hammers, may be an anvil made by one of the foundries for a store brand. A picture of the underside of the base and knowing where in the world it/you are located will help.