I Forge Iron

Well, I'm a danged FOOL!

Chris C

Thanks, arkie.  I'll be running beads today.  Just wish I could come up with a useful project.

I've had the Welding Tips and Tricks website on my desktop since buying this welder, but hadn't seen the video link at the top..............though I have stumbled onto some of the videos on Youtube. (my on-line school!)  Will put 6011 on my shopping list.  Thanks.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I lucked out as I had my big propane bottle filled just before we had the shut down order.  I was hoping the price would be going down; but I had a great Econ professor who gave us their personal story about never try to "bottom fish" on commodities.----She was buying chicken feed for one of the BIG Agri companies and the trend was down so she was putting off sending in the order. Things were going fine until Chernobyl happened and the market went crazy and she lost over a million on that order when it FINALLY was executed.

So I have propane; but my Boss wants me in my office since I don't have internet at home.  I did go ahead and preload all refills for my medications as I expect things will get more chaotic in the next month.  (I had to get my insulin prescription re-done; I don't need it for a while but didn't want to bet on the Dr's office being open then!)

What I am going to work on is getting power to my shop.  The local independent electrical contractor may need some paying work while the "big jobs" are on hold.

Chris, If you aren't familiar with the 60xx rods versus 70xx, the most common visual thing is that the 60xx rods are "fast freeze" and have a rougher, "stack of dimes" bead texture whereas the 70xx rods tend to have a smoother bead.  You may have used both, so forgive me if I'm plowing old ground.  Enjoy your welding day.

arkie, I just watched the video you posted.  Hadn't seen that one and it was very helpful...........thanks.  I think it'll be 3/32" 6011 I"ll be putting on my shopping list to get started.  And I'll try and watch some of the videos on the video link on the WT&T site.  Thanks for the tip.

arkie, I've used up 30 3/32" 6013 rods.  I'm laying down what I think are pretty nice looking welds on horizontal surfaces.  I've put down beads on just plates of steel and have welded plates to plate, plates on edge to plate and butt-welded plates.  My biggest problem is starting the arc every time without sticking.  Only have that problem when the rod is new............once it's been used, it poses no problem at all.  Also tried up-hill, down-hill and across the face of a vertical wall.  I'm not at all happy with the results of the up, down and across welds.  But in all honesty, 90% of what I'll be welding will be on a horizontal surface.  I will keep working because I'm sure the situation will come up where I'll need to know those three welds.  All I have in stock is 6013 in 3/32" and 1/8".  When the stay home restriction is lifted, I'll go buy some 6011 in 3/32", which I think will probably do all I'll ever need for welding.  Am I right that several passes over the same run with 3/32" can be built up to equal a run with an 1/8" rod?

I've got a Lincoln Tombstone 225w AC welder.  I've been practicing quite a bit.  Jody's Welding Tips and Tricks forum have been helpful also.  I'm running some pretty nice beads and I've no qualm about making things for my shop.  Would I hang out a "shingle" as a weldor?  Nope, but I'm satisfied the welds are deep enough for things to stay together.  The only problem I've had recently was trying to weld rebar to a 3/4" square piece of spring steel.  Other than that, I'm a happy camper.