I Forge Iron

PPE for forging in a bus?

Fast

I have a question

Will I need a respirator while forging? I'm going to be mostly outdoors or in an old schoolbus (windows are all busted) on my grandparents property using my grandfather's old forge which is one of those bowl ones that have the hand-crank blower built in

I will be using anthracite (the only coal I can find locally) or charcoal

Thanks

Welcome aboard... Have you read this yet? READ THIS FIRST   It will help you get the best out of the forum with tips like editing your profile to show your location and how to stay off the moderators radar.:)

As long as your forge is outside you won't need a respirator. Moving it inside the bus you will need a way to exhaust the smoke outside by a hood & stack. Depending upon your health condition a respirator may be a good idea, especially when grinding steel and the amount of ventilation you have.

Welcome aboard Fast, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location  in the header you might discover how many of the members live within visiting distance. Every hour you spend with an experienced smith will save many many times as much as figuring it out on your own. Seriously, a couple hours can equal a week or two. ;)

Without windows in the bus you might be okay though you might want to set the forge up outside till you learn how to manage the fire. Once you get the hang of it, coal isn't so smoky but it's always making some. Charcoal does't smoke but you have to watch out for "fireflies" sparks may be generated especially using a bottom blast.

Frosty The Lucky.

A respirator only reduces what it was designed to work on from the air you breathe.  Not eliminate, reduces.  

With a bus size enclosure, think about hitting the ceiling with your hammer, poking out a window with long metal you working with, and having a fire, smoke, and exhaust on the inside of the bus.  

As others have said, find a group to organization in your area and attend the meetings. You will learn more than you can imagine in just a few hours.