I Forge Iron

San Mai (5 layer)

MilwaukeeJon

A first try at a small hunting knife using 1018/15n20/1084/15n20/1018 layering. No folding during forge welding, simply lengthened the billet by forging with a vertical peen hammer. 

I am curious about the striations in the 15n20 layers. They are not scratches but rather appear to be ordered color changes in the body of the steel. Any thoughts on what this is caused by?

8D3E0BC1-38FC-4F76-939D-29340858BF6C.thumb.jpeg.2e07d8b7c2fedc06ef4aac91d14b54cb.jpeg

Sweet little knife.  Did you also sharpen the spine?  I'm not a hunter, so am curious whether that would serve a specific function, or is just for appearance.

As regards your issue with the 15N20.  I agree that it looks like it is a variation in the steel itself.  There is a specific name for that, but it is not coming to mind at this point.  I'm not sure if it is common in 15N20, as most times I've used it in fairly thin surface layers as a separator in a pattern welded billet, but I know some folks have used it as a mono steel for things like fillet knives and kitchen knives.  Perhaps one of them can comment.

I don't know if that would be an example but it's a segregation of elements  in an alloy for various reasons.  I'd look it up on a metallurgy site or perhaps in the blade forums; but as I previously said I don't know if that is an example. I was more wondering if that was the term Latticino was thinking of but couldn't remember---something that happens to me a lot these days.