I Forge Iron

steel type?

bcoop

Wanting to see if someone can help identify this steel from a lab analysis.  I came into a very large forklift tine, cut a sample and took it to a local lab that gave me the results listed below.  It doesn't seem to fall into any ONE specific steel type as far as I can tell....but i'm FAR from being knowledgeable on the subject. Any help would be great..  Here's the specs...C=.41, Si=.29, Mn=.56, P=.01, S=.01, Ni=.04, Cr=1.0, Mo=.15, Cu=.08, Sn=.00, Al=.02, Mg=.00, V=.00

By the way, welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

4140 is a oil-hardening steel. I'd suggest downloading the Heat Treatment App if you have a smartphone and don't already have it.

37 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

Copper a contaminant in the melt, Aluminum is used as a de-gaser in  the melt, most normally is removed with the slag

Thanks, Steve.

I don't know how to bookmark it for android but it is found by searching the " play store" for heat treaters guide companion.

I've never seen it available for pc. There is a "heat treaters guide" from, i think, ASM. I think it's pretty expensive and contains much more info. I looked this up once upon a time. 

The "companion" is a synopsis, more or less of pertanent of data from the guide.