I Forge Iron

Sandstone Sharpening Wheel

Marc1

Notice the age, fitness level and clothes of the workers. Absence of gloves, dust mask hearing protection or any other protection. The presenter talks about dust protection but i see none.  The method for turning the wheel is an OHS nightmare. To load the stones on the 300x300mm beams, before 1950 they used crow bars instead of the winch  

https://youtu.be/Xkvmnp8ca6Y

7 hours ago, JHCC said:

There are a number of old sandstone quarries near me that were first opened in the early 19th century

I might be confusing your patch of the Buckeye state with someone else's.  I seem to remember walking through a gorge in Hocking hills that was primarily sandstone and a little granite? If that's not your bailiwick I am confusing you with another member and I apologise.

Pnut

I’m farther north, near the sandstone quarries of Kipton and Amherst (which bills itself as “The Sandstone Center of the World”). There are some abandoned millstone works in Olmsted Falls, just west of the Cleveland airport.