I Forge Iron

Starting a home forge

Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!

I agree with what Marc1 says, with the additional observation that a NARB (Naturally Aspirated Ribbon Burner) forge will be a LOT quieter than a regular propane forge.

Also, make friends with your neighbors. Give them bottle openers and such. Let their kids watch from a safe distance. Be respectful of evening hours when people prefer some peace and quiet.

Get a quiet anvil like a Fisher or lower cost Vulcan or make sure the loud ringing anvils are dampened down. Nothing like a loud ringing anvil to stir up the neighborhood, even though some of us enjoy listening to them with hearing protection. I'm lucky the nearest neighbor is 1000 feet away on the other side of the hill so even the power hammer doesn't bother them day or night.:o  Of course we all do a lot of shooting too so the hammering is quiet compared to that.

Are you allowed to grill out? If so build a jabod and use a grill instead of a box. I guess a grill of dirt instead of just a box of dirt, but anyways if you're allowed to grill outside lump charcoal makes a perfectly good fuel and it doesn't really smoke after it's lit. If you make your forge from a grill if anyone shows up you can honestly say you're grilling out if you have a pack of hot dogs in sight. 

Pnut