I Forge Iron

Fork Lift Forks

I want some forks to fit on the front bucket of a small tractor. Is it possible to make them or would I be better advised to buy some? If I can make them does anybody have any tips?

On a separate point what grade of steel would make good teeth ror the bucket? I can bolt teeth on but am not sure quite how to make them other than they will have to be harder than a mother in law's heart.

Philip
I built some for a mitsubishi 15 hp 3/8 X3 Flat bar with 1X1 CR teeth. 4 holes in bucket teeth welded to FB. Add on forks were 3in
channel tapered tips with skid plates. Rear uprights to top of bucket with a hinge pin setup. forks 1 in below bucket edge. Use as wide a rear track as possible. I used a 400lb weight bar and loaded
tires. Make sure to add a sub frame to the rear end. Mine cracked the block at the bellhousing. 1000lbs on the front. OOPS
Ken

In my opinion if your going to be lifting much weight or lifting it very high and or around people where, if the forks were to fail, someone could be hurt or your cargo or equipment damaged then I would say you would definitely better off to buy the forks, they aren’t cheap but neither are accidents, especially when lives are at stake.

welder19

In my opinion if your going to be lifting much weight or lifting it very high and or around people where, if the forks were to fail, someone could be hurt or your cargo or equipment damaged then I would say you would definitely better off to buy the forks, they aren

Some of the commercial tines are medium carbon steels like 1050 or 4140; kind of expensive in large chunks!

The teeth are often hard faced to make them more wear resistant and so the alloy is chosen to make them easy to weld to.

Earthquake clean up tools?

If you dig the hole I will drop them down to ya, Indiana to China should be a pretty straight shot going straight through the earth...

I have one set for attatching to a bucket and a set off a standard warehouse type fork truck.

I plan to use the more standard set in the shop as something to hammer on = "long anvil", the set to go on a bucket are for sale...