I Forge Iron

need help knowing if i have a decent anvil

i received this anvil for christmas and am wondering if it is good or an a.s.o. im not sure. it is made of a piece of mild steel square tube and 1/2" thick mild steel welded. Either way i will use it because its better than the back of a bench vise. (edit i also plan on drilling a pritchel and a hardy and filing the hardy square)

Welcome aboard... I always suggest reading this to get the best out of the forum. READ THIS FIRST   It is full of tips like editing your profile to show location, how to do a better search, how to post pictures and how to keep the moderators happy.:)

Don't know what happened to the first part of your post.

Yea, I pounded on more than my share of bench vice backs over the years. I still do, and I won't supply my employer with a good anvil of my own. So on the job, I resort to a small chunk of rail that stays with my tool box, and which fits in the jaws of a vise when I need to cold shape metal, or I just use the back of one of the bench vises.

If you get 70-80 percent, that is a bonus, and you are moving in the right direction. You don't have to stop anvil searching!

18 hours ago, a very new smith said:

i received this anvil for christmas and am wondering if it is good or an a.s.o. im not sure.

That anvil can be perfect for some jobs and useless for others.

I would confidently use that for hand cutting sheet metal into figurines and then shape them  with little ball peen hammers and miniature punches. You can make a chess set or a nativity set that way on that anvil

Forging a 3/4" round bar into a knot will not work on that anvil. :)

Would make a great silver smithing anvil.  Not very good knifemaking or general smithing anvil.  Take a piece of chalk or crayon or even a marker and mark where there is solid metal from the top to the bottom---AKA "the sweet spot".  That is where you get the most "bang for the buck" when forging steel.  I assume you will have a narrow open square with that configuration.  Keep it for doing small work. (For knifemaking I would use it for setting pins and making throats and chapes for sheathes for example.)  Then look at that improvised anvil thread for ideas to get/make a pounding anvil!