I Forge Iron

Peter Wright 1 0 19

I acquired this peter wright for Christmas. Best gift ever. Decent shape, a little rough around the edges but all in all good shape. I want to clean the thing up a bit. I’m assuming taking a wire wheel to it is my best bet? How do u guys clean up your anvils?

4D29A2E2-5931-45DA-87BC-1AED277721FB.jpeg

Purty!

My 1-0-12 Christmas present got treated to an un-braided/un-knotted (so, standard crimp style) wire brushing via a 4.5" grinder followed by an oiling.

Let's see some more pics of the girl once you freshen her up a bit! 

That is a good looking anvil you got there.

Personally, I don't clean my anvils unless they have heavy orange rust. What you have there is what I would call a century's worth of patina and I wouldn't touch it.

As said earlier, just start using it and the face will shine right up. Much better than any wire wheel could ever do.

On 1/12/2020 at 4:53 PM, aaamax said:

That is a good looking anvil you got there.

Personally, I don't clean my anvils unless they have heavy orange rust. What you have there is what I would call a century's worth of patina and I wouldn't touch it.

As said earlier, just start using it and the face will shine right up. Much better than any wire wheel could ever do.

Ya that’s very true. There is a lot of history behind these old anvils cleaning them up more than necessary is taking that away from them in a sense. Didn’t really think about that until now. Thanks for your comment. Cheers 

On 1/14/2020 at 6:23 AM, LucBartek said:

Ya that’s very true. There is a lot of history behind these old anvils cleaning them up more than necessary is taking that away from them in a sense. Didn’t really think about that until now. Thanks for your comment. Cheers 

Glad you think so Luc. Also the patina is probably the best protective coating short of painting it.

Cheers to your terrific anvil.