I Forge Iron

Sideblast fab

Forgingforfun

You could use flex pipe like the collapsible plastic vent pipe for a dryer until a little bit before the tuyere and not have to raise the blower base. If you're raising it because it's not a comfortable height then disregard the above. Good luck. 

Pnut

• 1 month later...

Yes I should of ...but would that have allowed the sweet spot to move taller in height? Airflow into is like 3/4 or inch. The bowl wasn't wide enough to fit tomahawk head into as well, have some more charcoal to use up then will switch to coal, still have to make a rake water can, poker etc

Edited by Mod30
remove excessive quote.

Looks to be working fine. Smaller pieces of charcoal make a huge difference. I shoveled up three five gallon buckets of charcoal from someone burning brush. I'm glad I got to it before the rain. 

Pnut

Smaller pieces of charcoal make a huge difference. Yes indeed, area that is hot enough to do work is not big enough,  I am going to increase that, and will switch to coal for a while, having about 150 lbs of smithing coal, I personally haven't forged with coal since the 70s in my dads forge, have used propane mostly, my bottom blast using pipe with holes didnt work well, but now I learned that my charcoal wasn't small enough in that attempt also. Good find on your charcoal.im getting very excited about my future projects.

Edited by Mod30
Excessive quoting

Lots of sources: High School Bonfires, I sift the ashes from my wood stove, and the weirdest one  was when the neighborhood bar catty cornered across the alley  from my smithy burned, I collected several garbage cans from it---with permission.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/5/2020 at 11:44 AM, ThomasPowers said:

when the neighborhood bar catty cornered across the alley  from my smithy burned, I collected several garbage cans from it---with permission.

An auto parts store burned down about six months ago and I was looking at all of the charcoal with visions of glowing steel dancing in my head but I didn't want to ask someone who just lost their business if I could have any. I've gotten scrap auto parts from the garage they own behind the parts store but they were never overly friendly in the best of times so I didn't want to bother them in a time of stress. 

Pnut