I Forge Iron

Plumbing gas to a ribbon burner

Joe E

Greeting folks! I am building a ribbon burner forge and was looking for some plumbing advise. I have a regulator and hose and I have the 2x3/4” Tee that I have reduced The 3/4” down to 1/2”. Do I simply feed the gas to it through the needle valve or do I need something in between to reduce it more. Any advise/tips/tricks would be greatly appreciated. I posted this in the ribbon burner section but haven’t got a reply yet so I figured I’d try here. Thanks, Joe 

Good Morning Joe,

Use an adjustable Propane Regulator, don't count on the needle valve for control. You get a lot finer adjustment in the Regulator and you won't bump the handle for the regulator, when you turn around and bump something. You can also put a gate valve on the Air-out side of the Blower. Two ways to adjust to get the perfect balance.

Neil

Mine goes from braided line to copper tube (flare), then flare to NPT adapter, then pressure gauge, then needle valve, then the nozzle. This was suggested to me so that I could set the max line pressure with the regulator and gauge, then fine tune with the needle valve depending on what the flame looks like. It helped me a ton. I set my max line pressure to 2psi, and then I know that I am tuning in that range with my gate valve and needle valve. 

I forgot to say regulator to braided line, oops!

Edited by MCalvert
Forgot something

If you just HAVE to have one, put the pressure gauge on the regulator there is a female fitting for one on the output side. Next install a 1/4 turn ball valve so you can shut the gas off quickly, far from a potential fires. Put the needle valve at the burner. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for all the replies y’all!

14 hours ago, MCalvert said:

Mine goes from braided line to copper tube (flare), then flare to NPT adapter, then pressure gauge, then needle valve, then the nozzle. This was suggested to me so that I could set the max line pressure with the regulator and gauge, then fine tune with the needle valve depending on what the flame looks like. It helped me a ton. I set my max line pressure to 2psi, and then I know that I am tuning in that range with my gate valve and needle valve. 

I forgot to say regulator to braided line, oops!

When you say nozzle, what part are you talkin about? Does the gas need to be fed into the pipe through a certain fitting or just through the 1/4” pipe? I have a Venturi burner that feeds with a .030 mug tip and was wondering if I need to do something similar with the ribbon setup.