I Forge Iron

Power hammer info

I walked past this hammer at a job today. Its in a old smiths shop that has not seen any work sins the late 70s. It was in un light room and my phone did not get good pics. I did not see any name or markings.

You people have any idea of maker or year ?

20191125_090933.jpg

Welcome aboard Thorkelsson, glad to have you. If you put your general location in the header you'll be surprised how many members live within visiting distance. 

That old lady looks pretty complete from here. If you're looking for a working piece of equipment does it matter who made it when? Sure, it's fun to  know but doesn't effect it's usefulness. I can't see anything you'd have to buy from the maker to put it to work.

The biggest potential issue I see is the motor. If it's 3 phase a person might have to spend thousands, get a converter or find a single phase replacement. Other than that it almost looks good to go with a little oil and grease.

Are you looking to make an offer to buy?

Frosty The Lucky.

well i live in the most rural region of Iceland so i doubt that therare many members her .... but you never know .

i'm looking too build my self a blacksmithing shop in the next years, and im starting to amass tools, as a carpenter by trade i get to see many places that are under going a rewamp or are being demod.

im looking to make an offer of saving this old girl, ther are some belt driven lathes in the next room that are being claimed by the elements and the roof over this power hammer dos not have many winters left in it.

Iforge has a number of Icelandic smiths aboard but probably not within driving distance. Private planes common there?

If you don't show too much or eager interest in it you might have her for scrap prices or even freighting her away. Heck, if you were to build a shop with an eye to a living history museum you might get help from the government. You know: grants, help convincing the current owners of the old shop to let the equipment go for free to a living history museum for the tax write off. I don't know if you have building codes, zoning, etc. but a friendly local government can be darn helpful with those too.

I don't know anything about your local area so I couldn't offer any realistic estimate of what she's worth. But it the building is sitting idle and falling apart I'd probably start with an offer to haul it off without charging them. It might cost more to haul to a scrapper than it's worth as scrap.making free disposal an attractive offer. Of course you might get stuck with machinery, tools, etc. that's beyond salvage but such are the risks of the deal.

Frosty The Lucky. 

i know there are not many powerhammers in Iceland at all.

something that has been siting for 40+ years is a good project but not something to go bankrupt over. i hope to hull it a way.

the building is siting idle and the owner has said he will demo the house in the next years, i think he is hoping for some good offer on it cos its down by the docks and is a good lot for industrial things ... 

i was only asking for maker and date of production not cos of some snobbery but out off curiosity.    

Me too Arft, flipping thru POTP as I type.  If American I'd say a cross between a Star and a Scranton.  But I'm thinking British.

Thorkelsson, the Maritime Museum in Akranes has a nice Beche air hammer.   Apologies if you already knew that.    

The chain drive on the back end is not original.  

I believe its an early kingshorne hammer. made in todmorden , Uk made. I had a slightly different version of it  a 90lb which is now in sweden . they get around a lot went to Australia.

I think one of my students has the same hammer, i'll try and get him to chime in.