I Forge Iron

New shop

Finally it looks like I will be putting up a shop in the back yard. The Boss  bought an 8 x 12 foot shed kit. she was afraid that I would burn down the garage if I set up in it. The shape of the garage it would have been a home run. I am going to use a tin roof and spray the inside with a borax solution. The floor will be some used pressure treated decking covered with tin, the forge area will be covered with cement board. I am concerned with the chimney. I would like to use a Hofi style chimney because I don't want to cut a hole in the roof. I have found 12 x 60 inch length of galvanized  pipe at Lowes it is 28 gauge, and in my price range. would I have any problems using galvanized pipe outside of the building using the Hofi system?

Hey Das , yes it feels god to get started. old age has not been kind , I 've got more metal parts in my body than most new cars. the worst part is the Boss watches HGTV and tries to tell me how to build things. I didn't need to be building a shed at my age, would have preferred a complete shed.  Hopefully I will have it together sometime next week, if the doc lets me. Going to see him tomorrow. 

When the feeling that I'm wearing out comes upon me; I take comfort in that it means I DID SOMETHING in my life rather than sitting around watching TV! 

As I run hot water over my fingers so I can close them in the morning; I think how lucky I am---all that work and abuse and I'm still on Base 10!

As Alfred Lord Tenniscourt said:

“How dull it is to pause, to make an end, To rust unburnish'd, not to shine in use! As tho' to breathe were life!”

Though I consider sitting by the woodstove on a nasty day with a nice cup of tea or Cocoa (perhaps 40 proof...) in one hand and a good book in another is not a pause so much as a catching a second wind...

Hey Bud- like Das said, you'll have no problem using the galv pipe for your stack. 12" dia will move a fair amount of air thru it, that'll help to keep things from getting too hot. That's what I used for my Hofi style side sucker.

Yeah, this aging thine ain't any fun. I still have all my original factory issued parts, and they're working more or less within design spec, but my zerks must be clogged or something- things are really creaky. Keep on plugging.

Steve

Just got back from the doc's.  He checked both hernias and said that from what he could find I can continue as before. I am getting the stone for the base delivered Monday, Tuesday the neighbor will be over with his machine to put the stone behind the garage so that I can start framing the shed  on Wednesday. I may not be able to move like I used to but at least I can still move.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2019 at 6:57 PM, ThomasPowers said:

I run hot water over my fingers so I can close them in the morning

Ahha, so thats the trick. I aint been able to make a fist in at least 10 years. 

On 11/21/2019 at 9:10 PM, Stash said:

Yeah, this aging thine ain't any fun.

My problem with aging is that i keep getting taller, cuase that floor is a whole lot further down than it was 20 years ago.