I Forge Iron

Large I Beam

Willem

Long story short I got a little too excited and bough a "log splitter" that in reality is a hack job with a rusted out piston. Given my materials would it be more economical to go with a hydraulic or pneumatic cylinder. In my mind I need to take the I beam, put the cylinder on it with a couple dyes, and attach that to a steel plate, which is subsequently put in the ground. However I'm definitely over my head and would appreciate any feedback I can get. My other option is to go buy a working one off of craigslist that is $250 with a cylinder that has a 14" throw. Of coarse I found this the day after I bought the log splitter.

Thanks

-Will

unnamed.jpg

I'm in the camp of the dragon above.  Sometimes it's better to cut one's losses and move on rather than chase what will be 50 expensive rabbits down that hole.  If the cylinder and pump are toast, this thing is basically a poor scrap choice to start a project from....like trying to restore a car just because you already have a partial frame in the scrap pile.

Sometimes it's better to take your licks at the beginning rather than dig that hole deeper.  

Obviously YMMV because all we have with which to judge is a photo and some comments.

Best thing might be to slow down, do a bit of research to figure out what you need a press to do and what size cylinder/motor/pump combination will do it. That press in Westport for $250 may have a 14" throw, but the cylinder diameter doesn't look like much and the motor looks small, plus to work for a forge press, it would have to be reconfigured and that's gonna take some work. Also depends on what...

2 hours ago, Willem said:

the engine and hydraulics are busted

means. What kind of engine, what's wrong with it? Is it easy to fix? Hydraulics - is just the cylinder bad, or are the hoses, valve and pump all shot? Is the I-beam rusted out or is it structurally solid? And how much money are you willing to put into this project? It's not a small project building a forge press, but it can be done.

It's a gas engine that is "not working" specifically i dont know whats wrong with it. I havent actually opened up the cylinder but all the ports were left open and when I took it by my local welding shop the guy said that the interior of it was most likely rusted out. When I get home I'll probably give it a go and see how bad it really is, but in all reality I think i have a nice big I beam and some junk.