I Forge Iron

Pricing a Peter Wright post leg Vise

mARTin Metal

Good day,

I'm tryin to put a price on my vintage 5-3/4” Peter Wright, stamped on the thread box, post leg vise. It is 42” tall and 87 lbs. the condition is good. Threads are in good condition and the handle is straight as in not an abused tool. I did replace one wedge. I am in Northern California and we don’t see too many large vices come up for sale. I would like to here from dealers in this region as to value. I often pass on deals outside my area due to shipping costs. Fair value and within driving range is key for myself.

thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts.

701BBF91-CE44-4B06-A72A-CEAC6A3B0BB3.jpeg

816FAE67-1209-402B-9E17-CAB0DD7F337C.jpeg

8C89E1DF-1C0B-4610-99A5-24C4207198D3.jpeg

91C0E8B2-4459-47E0-8BE6-6E7A5A8920B7.jpeg

As a postvise user; over 50% of the price I'm willing to pay is based on the condition of the screw and screwbox threads; which you have not shown; sort of like selling a used car without info on how well the engine works.  I'm trying to hold my postvise numbers down to a dozen these days---given that my loaner vise ever makes it back to me!

Most postvises are "vintage".  I've only heard of one manufacturer selling new ones and their prices are several times higher than a good used one.

Of course most blacksmithing tools age going high these days.  What was the going rate for postvises at Quad-State this year? (I bought my last one; a 5+" robustus version, for US$75 at Q-S several years ago.)

Not your area but I'm also in one where post vises don't come up that often, especially ones above 4-1/2".  In this area (Eastern WA), that size would probably sell fairly quickly at around $ 175-$ 200, take a while if getting toward $ 250, and sit for a long time but possibly still sell a bit higher assuming the screw is not just good but excellent.

Those are high prices (especially relative to other areas) and people with patience can find them cheaper...but there are enough impatient buyers to generally support those higher prices if the piece is well advertised.

Obviously YMMV.

Thanks Kozzy,

my hope is an experienced buyer will know the difference between a Colombian and a Peter Wright. Up next to each other should make my point. That would be the design and style. If the jaws are parallel, the screw or thread box is not stripped and the handle not bent from cheating, I’ll take the peter Wright hands down. Even pay a little more. I have never given a vice away for $75. I have sold a beautiful, perfect condition, 4” Peter Wright, cleaned, sealed and on a nice looking base for $375. The buyer was ecstatic! Matched his Anvil.

but I did all the prep work, ready to go.

one mans junk,........

i keep tellin my scrapper, no junk today.

They were around US$45 at Q-S for several years and then jumped to $75 when I got my last one.  Back in the 1990's I bought around 10 vises for $20 a piece---there was a fleamarket on the way to SOFA meetings that usually had a number at that price.  Before that last Q-S one I had bought a 6.5" columbian needing a mounting plate for $50 (a real steal---fellow didn't want to take it home!) and a 3.5" *OLD* (screwbox was built from a bunch of forge brazed pieces with the helical thread brazed in place) for $20  Frank Turley told me he thought it predated 1800.

Central Ohio was the "Happy hunting grounds" for blacksmiths back then.  I had to impose a limit on how many vises I would own and sell on the others I have found as I "upgraded" the keepers.

This is my eighth vise acquired through a series up horse trading upgrades. One after another, restored and put to work. Each one bigger than the last. I’ve never had more than two at one time. Space permitting. I buy low and sell high in order to outfit my shop. I wouldn’t say vises are my vice, but I admit to and extensive hammer rack. I use the same three every day. Anyway, this thread was intended to get some input on pricing a very good condition 5-1/2” Peter Wright. On the internet of all things I have comps from $300-600. I’m not looking to get rich, just leverage my next treasure. One thing is certain, prices are going up. Thanks to television and the resurgence of the craft. In ten years all the hobbyists will be selling. My shop is complete. Moving on to another thread. Thanks for your input. 

CAB3CA8A-3537-43D9-9252-C449D4995C53.jpeg

CC5482C7-BC9E-4419-AE4A-8646D8670C46.jpeg