I Forge Iron

Building a coal forge

slanwar

I'm sure my pump (is a computer blower, DataVac duster) will overheat if I leave on low for too long but I bought a blower which I'm still waiting to be delivered which I should be able to use the variable speed control.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

With a jet of flame like that coming out of the forge it is a wonder you can heat metal at all with all that air cooling it.  As mentioned before, separate the blower from the air pipe by 4-6 inches and spill some of the air to the outside of the pipe. Adjust your aim as needed. 

The flame was that high because I use wood/charcoal to start the fire I use anthracite and I need to start the fire with wood or charcoal but soon anthracite lights up and the wood/charcoal burns out then is like the last picture. The blower is attached to a 4" pipe separated from the main air pipe 6" in a T construction.

But posting the full force photo gives others the impression (bad information) that is the type flame you want. You actually want embers in order to transfer the heat from the wood to the anthracite or to the metal.  Just use enough air to create the heat you need to get the metal hot.