I Forge Iron

Swage Block

Kyle Jones

Kyle over 100 different countries participate in these forums on the World Wide Web; prices will differ depending on what country it is in and for larger countries, what part of the country it is in. Also how large is it: size/weight.

I bought mine 37 years ago for US$1 a pound in Central Oklahoma, USA and use it a couple of times a year.  It isn't as nice as yours looks to be though!

Prices for swage blocks are high right now because of the whole Forged In Fire craze.  There really are two markets for blacksmithing tools:  #1 is the collector market.  These people look at blacksmithing equipment as something to be collected, stored, displayed, and curated as a historical item for occasional use only in demos and such.  #2 is the blacksmith buyers.  We buy tools to put them back to work.  We look at tools in terms of usability.  We appreciate the historical value, but we really just want to put the tools to work in our shop.  We pay much less usually because we just don't participate in this $12 a pound pricing ridiculousness.  You'll need to decide who you want to sell it to if that's what you decide to do.   

So, you can get big bucks for a great swage block.  This is very much dictated by the demand though.  I tried to explain this to a picker I know that had a very large anvil he found.  I told him sometimes size works against you.  Who wants to ship a 300# or 400# anvil or swage block?  So that limits you to pick-up buyers only.  We've been know to drive hours to pick such stuff up, but moving heavy stuff requires the right vehicle and equipment.  You can't just swing by in your Dodge Omni and throw it in the hatch back.  Don't base your asking price on ebay or craigslist but talk with blacksmiths near you and put a fair price on it if you desire to sell it.  I've seen swage blocks like yours get $3 a pound easily and even more if things get crazy.  

Thanks everyone for the input... not looking to sell, just seeking information on it. Have a wall in our horse barn of all the old tools from past generations used on our farm Some are hand forged and the swage most likely was used to create...

Thanks again for your time...

Are you thinking about learning the craft and maybe putting some of those tools to work or just displaying them, Kyle? Either way, please feel free to ask us questions, we LOVE helping folks get themselves addicted to blacksmith's craft. However if you're just displaying the tools and equipment you might consider posting some pics here. If you don't use the tools you don't know how they'd be arranged for use in a working shop. OR in a portable set up.

Frosty The Lucky.