I Forge Iron

Guess I just don't know where to look!

I never seem to do well with searches.  I stopped by the local blacksmith's "candy store" today.  They had a bin half full of cutoffs with 18297 marked on the ends.  They were 4" and 5" diameter.  Can anyone tell me what this metal is used for...........and would it make good hammer heads?

Not enough info. That number could simply be a heat number from the mill that made it, or even an inventory number. Color codes are also not standardized, so you can't go by those either.

Are you equipped to work stock 4"-5" in diameter? That would take a ton of heat, and a power hammer to move efficiently.

Alloys will be 4-5 digits ; 1018, 4140, 1045, 52100 for plain steels. 3 digit for stainless 303, 304, 316, 440, 416, and may have a letter at the end (304L, 440C). Simple tool steels will be W2, D2,D7,O1,S7,H13 ETC..

Go to a rental yard or equipment repair shop and ask for any worn out bucket pins used on backhoes, and the like. They will be a better diameter and good hammer steels. Scrap here is $40 a ton, so some places are giving scrap away or simply trashing it.

You must have missed all my dancing and screaming, IFC.................I picked up 6 big jackhammer bits from Home Depot a while back...............and at my favorite price.  FREE-E-E-E--E-E!!!

That's a shame because they just toss'em in the trash when they are through with them.

I used the TThomas' theory.....................just mention it to everyone.  I went to every Home Depot and rental place I could find and asked if they had an trashed ones ready to toss.  Only one place said they save 'em up and take them to recycling.   (can't figure why, though, because they only get about .04 cents a pound for them that way)  Out of all the HD stores I went to, only one has been fruitful...............but fruitful it's been.

Most were 9" or shorter..........and the majority were probably in the 3" to 4" range.  And the majority were about 4" to 5" in diameter.   I don't need an anvil right now, and am not well-healed enough to buy things for possible future transactions.  I do well enough to be able to buy what I presently need.