I Forge Iron

Forging Manipulator

Is any one here familiar at all with a forging manipulator made by Dynamic Equipment Corporation?  Made in the 90's.  Capacity is around 1600 lbs mounted to a fork truck.  The one I have to use is mounted on a small Clark fork truck.  I am looking for any type of operating or maintenance manual.  I have exhausted google and searched several equipment archives.  The original manufacturer is no longer.  Any info would be appreciated.

My bad, location added. Now for those specific suggestions   :D   But seriously, this is a nice piece of equipment that has probably only done 4 or 5 forging jobs in 27 years and has always been maintained in a ready state. Zero wear and everything works as it should.  The perplexing part is it has a system of hydraulic accumulators and valves that presumably act as shock absorbers.  The manipulator has no springs and no one knows the correct way to adjust the valves.

2 hours ago, SubSmith said:

The perplexing part is it has a system of hydraulic accumulators and valves that presumably act as shock absorbers.  The manipulator has no springs and no one knows the correct way to adjust the valves.

Which valves need adjusting? I don't know of many hydraulic valves that can be adjusted but there are some. 

Accumulators are to keep constant pressure where it's necessary and or act as shock absorbers. They can be adjusted by adding or relieving gas pressure behind the bladder There should be a gas valve with a gauge OR you use a system like inflating tires. Do NOT use compressor air! :o Accumulators are usually pressurize with nitrogen, atmospheric air contains oxygen, mixed with hyd oil under pressure is a B A D thing. Think diesel engine. Hmmmm?

Let me know what valves you think need adjusting I might be able to help.

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for the replies.  I will try to get pics.  We have a strict protocol for publishing photos so it may take me a few days.

Some specifics, there is a bladder type accumulator that sits on the counterweight I believe this is a shock absorber for the entire system.  Tucked into the manipulator itself are 3 piston type accumulators.  The easiest to see is the the hydraulic line that  tilts the manipulator "up" is tee'd right at the piston fitting, the tee'd line runs to the bottom of one accumulator where it tee's again and it is valved.  When the valve is closed the tilt operates as it should.  Opening the valve and the manipulator starts tilting down with moving a control lever. So, valve closed puts the accumulator at the end of the line and allows it to act like a shock absorber.  So why is there a valve then? To flush the lines perhaps and ensure that there is no air in the line leading to the accumulator? It is a mystery at the moment.

I will post some pics when I get them. I know it is hard to describe without visuals.

• 1 month later...

I worked for Dynamic Equipment.  The attachment you have was called by Dynamic by the name "Mininip"  (mini manipulator).  The company has apparently been inactive for several years.  An unsuccessful attempt was made to purchase the engineering information.  It is not clear what happened to the records when the office building was sold and remodeled.  As I recall, the hydraulic circuit is fairly straightforward.  Typical mobile hydraulic valves were used with the lift truck hoist and side shift hydraulic system.  You might try consulting a hydraulic engineer or a hydraulic system integrator.  They can trace the circuit for you.  In general, the accumulator is kept precharged to 200 PSI above the system pressure, which I think was 1500 PSI.  Carlton Forge in Paramount, CA, may have a similar machine.  You could also check with used equipment dealers, who might have one with a schematic drawing.  The manual information generally consisted of arrangement drawings and a replaceable parts list.

I just found the following in which it appears that DDS headquartered in Germany now has the rights to Dynamic Equipment products.  I know that they had interest in Dynamic for several years:  https://www.forgemag.com/directories/2169-buyer-s-guide/listing/1211-dango-dienenthal-maschinenbau-gmbh

They should be able to help with your inquiry.