I Forge Iron

The biggest knife I've made so far

Jay.bro

Hey guys I got this big one shaped yesterday gonna start some grinder work today and get to the quench and temper done later. It's made of a high carbon, half inch bar off a machine from my job. It's my fifth knife so far and I'm super happy with how it turned out.

IMG_20190727_170631718.jpg

I just got it quenched and it is the blade is about the length of all the knives I've made so far I haven't measured it yet but once it cools off I'll measure it and take pics with a ruler next to it

Figure I ought to add the concept art I drew up before. 

IMG_20190728_121856341.jpg

Figured I'd give you guys a pic of the handle I just finished putting on it. Next is finishing up the grinds and doing a little bit of engraving on it the guy I'm making this for wants "your soul is mine" in Latin put on it so I figured I'd try engraving. But I just finished and stained the handle with a coffee, wax, and canola oil blend I made. I've been wondering if pvc cement would make a good sealer on the handle. My belt sander decided to die and start smoking so most of this is by hand. It took forever but I'm pleased with the progress so far. Especially since I got some stitches from working on a different knife handle yesterday.

IMG_20190805_210538760.jpg

10 hours ago, JKeetonKnives said:

XXXX! That guy looks mean! I feel like it's meant to be thrown! 

You know, I've had about 8 people say it looks like a boomerang blade but I designed it to be like a small farmer's scythe or hand sickle it was pretty heavy too.

With that kind of duty in mind I do have a potential concern.  Your sharpening choil seems more triangular than rounded in the picture.  A sharp inward angle at that point will be a potential weak spot.  A chainsaw file or other small round file may be able to help you round that out if the steel isn't too hard there.  Otherwise you can rough it out a bit with a grinder and then use sandpaper on a dowel or other small diameter round stock to smooth it out and make the blade less likely to break there.

I left the blade quite thick and I put a dual bevel on the blade the spine is not sharpened it was an aesthetic choice but it made it have the illusion of being more triangular but the edge is a thick round shape and I hacked into a large piece of hickory fire wood with it to test for breaking and deformation and then I checked with a magnifying glass for cracks. The guy that got it wanted it for decoration but I made it functional in case he decided he needed it or as a decorative home defense idea.

Question.  Is that long bolt what you made the knife out of, and if so, did it harden?  Unless that's something other then a bolt it is at best .5 carbon.  As a decorative piece no problem, as a functional piece it won't hold a great edge, but it will work.

It's actually a piece of an adjustment rod from a pallet making machine and yes it hardened up quite nicely in canola oil. I sparked it first it threw great sparks. I used it to make several knives I even hacked into a big piece of hickory after tempering and had no deformation chipping or warping I quenched it and did 2 runs in the oven at 400 for an hour apiece. The rod had 2 threaded ends the rest was smooth and it was a bugger to work to a flat shape. It did make some really decent knives though. I'm not sure of the percent for carbon but it skated a file in canola oil and tempered just fine.