I Forge Iron

Bryneleoma (Beam of Fire) – A dragon slaying sword of the Rohirrim

basher

This is the latest collaboration sword from myself  Petr Florianek .

We wanted to make another fantasy sword yet at the same time keeping a firm grip on reality. This a very much a “real” sword but also a dragon slaying hero’s sword!

48191107947_42f56c656e_z.jpg

The sword blade takes inspiration from early Saxon blades, marrying that history into Tolkien’s middle earth and the world of the Rohirrim horse lords. The blade was made by myself and the handle and scabbard are Petr’s work.

48191108177_f24dcdd30f_z.jpg

The blade takes inspiration from early Saxon patternwelded blades and has a lenticular section giving it the heft and strength needed when fighting dragons! It is important for me that anything I make has a functional reality to it. A reality based upon the imagined purpose of the object . This is the sword of a mighty horselord hero with the pride and fate of his people behind him. A sword for battling a dragon.

48191056111_ff2169897c_z.jpg

Bryneleoma has a patternwelded blade 3 core bars twisted anticlockwise, clockwise and anticlockwise, the core bars are wrapped in a high layer damascus edge . The bold core pattern contrasting the fine layers of the edge.

48191055906_26d911fd71_z.jpg

In Petr’s words…

I wanted to make a truly heroic sword and when given Owen’s mighty blade, I had enough inspiration to get the feel of it. The blade is hefty and long so I immediately started to picture a mounted warrior; a hero on a horse, a proto knight if you will. The inspiration for this sword is firmly set in Tolkien’s Middle Earth, in the world of the Rohirrim horse lord. The motives for ornamentation are simple – he dragon on the pommel as the most powerful enemy but also a symbol to ward off evil. On the handle a series of knots representing fate being spun by higher beings. The knot on the guard symbolises oath, the oath of the horse lord bound to his people as their protector. An oath from sword to swordsman, the guard of the sword being there to protect its heroic master.

48191056021_d4f2cac2af_z.jpg

I love doing these pieces with Petr, and always look forward to getting the finished piece. He has a way of bringing a blade to life.....

Amazing work but...

On a sword like that you can't speak of clockwise and anti-clockwise:  No dial clocks at the time (or imaginary place usually) :-)   By what I've seen you need to use the terms deasil and widdershins (or regional variations).  Makes you sound cooler when speaking of the work...or super nerdy at the least.

In any case, love the piece.  Rounded tip is interesting there....implying that such a thing would never be thrust and used for slicing only.

10 minutes ago, Steve Sells said:

They have had Sun dials for centuries, beautiful blade too

Deasil is a variation of "sun-wise" in several of the old languages that got mashed together, widdershins meaning basically "opposite" or reverse.  It did come from sundials rather than clocks...or simply the general travel of the sun from the northern hemisphere where its arc was always seen primarily looking toward the South.

24 minutes ago, Neal the smith said:

Stunning work Owen. I must get myself on one of your Damascus courses. It was your fault I caught this bug! One knife making course years ago and been hooked ever since. 

thats the idea, damascus is great I still love making it even 25 years after my first billet.