I Forge Iron

Attaching soft firebrick

Chris C

Stick around Airhog, threads drift all the time and you're on topic. 

If you'll CALL HVAC service and or supply companies close by you can often get all the ceramic refractory blanket you can use for free. I haven't bought any Kaowool since talking to the guys at a local HVAC supplier. Regulations forbid using anything but new material off the roll when servicing a furnace so all the trimmings get tossed in the dumpster and I tend to end up with trash bags stuffing the SUV to the gills.

I call it all Kaowool just because it's easier to write than ceramic blanket refractory so don't think I'm being brand specific. So long as it's 8lb. 2,600f refractory blanket it's all good. Yes? 

It IS a breathing hazard but it has a high exposure threshold unnless it's been fired, even then you have to already have lung problems for a brief PPE protected exposure to be harmful. Wearth a breathing mask and safety glasses, bug goggles are best, fibers can irritate the eyes. Use a spray bottle and keep it damp while cutting and handling, wet prevents fibers from floating off. 

Cut, fit, rigidize and encaspulate it as described many times in the "Forges 101" thread.  When your done for the day, clean the area, I like washing it into the driveway but sweeping up if you don't get enthusiastic with the broom is fine, a vacuum cleaner is better still. When you're done take your clothes off, wet them down BEFORE TAKING THEM IN THE HOUSE and toss them into the washing machine a rinse cycle is good but a quick wash with a LITTLE soap is better. Then get in the shower and rinse off BEFORE TAKING THE BUGEYE GOGGLES AND DUST MASK OFF! Take a quick shower and you're good.

What I described is basic hazmat procedures for particuates and is standard methods. 

There is no need to invent or try to work your way around a good product. A little knowledge and care will keep you healthy and give you a top shelf propane forge. Yes?

This is just another learning curve in a life of learning curves, nobody is born knowing this stuff and we all had to learn one way or another. I'll save you stories about some of my early experiments I didn't have the internet or people to ask. Anyway, if you read or hear something that sounds plausible, link us and let us vet it for you. Okay? Most of us old curmudgeonly types have made eough mistakes and learned from them to deserve a couple few PHDs.

We offer you the benefit of our mistakes. hmmmmm? ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

When it comes time to fit my K26 soft bricks to the forge body, I'm going to need to cut some of them.  Will it be safe to do that on my table saw (that has a super dust collection attached) or should I carefully hand saw while not creating any unnecessary dust?

I use an old blade in my hacksaw and scribe lines on the bricks to help me keep the cuts straight.  My impression is that the bricks will dull a saw blade fairly quickly, but a blade too dull for wood or metal cutting will still cut the bricks with little trouble.  I've not used a power saw of any kind to cut them, but it seems like overkill to me.

I certainly wouldn't use a power saw, bad for blades and worse for motors. I've rasped soft brick to shape and K 26 aren't enough harder to make much difference a sheetrock rasp would probably work a treat. An old hand saw will do it, even dull. I drill holes in IFB and K 26 with a dull hole saw, Sharp ones turn dul in seconds so buy el'cheapO hole saws for brick and such.

Frosty The Lucky.

" Looking forward to seeing a HOT forge "

Boy Frosty, I couldn't agree more!  I hate asking to borrow people's equipment like the Devil, so I don't pester them about it.  I asked and the answer was "SURE".  Then I asked when it would be convenient for me to come over.........................."crickets". That was a week ago.  I'm hoping I'll see the guy tonight at the group gathering.  I'm ready to pound some steel at MY house instead of only being about to do it one evening a week at someone else's.

I've got a friend who had to live in a trailer for the past 10 months while his house was being added onto and remodeled.  He bought a trailer and a 100 # propane tank to handle their needs.  He's moved into the house now and selling the trailer.  I asked what he wanted for the tank and he said $100.  That's a pretty good deal for basically a new tank isn't it?  It would be nice to not have to scavenge the small tanks off my little Casita travel trailer.

It's probably a pretty good price here, I don't know about Central Oklahoma. What do you think? Checked online ads?

Actually it's good to have trouble borrowing what you need, it REALLY reduces the pressure to get things done, better than not having a round toit. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.

I can't find any on Craigslist anywhere near that price.................but Craigslist isn't the only place to get one.

On the matter of the forge.............I just want to get it finished.  Tired of all the pieces and boxes in my shop that belong on it before I put it out in the forge room.  Personally I hate round toits.  Used to carry a wooden one (like a wooden nickle) in my pocket to remind me there was always time to get.....................................a round toit.

I picked mine up at a yard/garage/etc. sale years ago. The guy had 2 for sale for something like $25 ea. but wanted to sell the stuff I was interested in so took the $10 I offered for both. He lost bargaining points when I pointed out the certifications were way out of date but they weren't dented so they were worth something. I'm pretty sure his wife wanted them gone at any price.

I have a wooden pocket round toit somewhere I just don't know where. :ph34r:

Frosty The Lucky.

4 hours ago, Chris The Curious said:

I'll locate mine and send you a pic. :P

You want me to block you? And here I thought we were getting along so well. 

Things like this keep crushing my self image as a judge :unsure: of character.  

Frosty The Lucky.

100 USD is about what you would pay for a new one, Chris, but $100 for a barely used one now isn’t bad. 

Unless you want to drive to Ardmore. 

C70ECF18-7C53-4618-BC4E-74AC6CB366A2.jpeg

Driving there would burn up about 6.7 gallons of fuel and cost you about 2.5 hours. What else could you have done with the 2.5 hours?

Good price especially if it still has propane in it. I just priced propane here for home delivery $.99 a gallon, haven't seen it that low in years. I need to order some tomorrow to top off our home 500 gallon tank and the shop 115 gallon tank. Probably need about 300 gallons.