I Forge Iron

ID an old anvil found in garden

I got an anvil from a friend that found in his garden.  He lives in a 100 year old house in an area that was settled in the early 1800's.   It's a little rusty from being buried for 100 years and the top plate is worn from use, but otherwise in good condition.  I'd like to know the age and maker if possible.  The only marks are two large "I"s punched in the left side and single large punch mark on the right  side.  I'd estimate the weight to be a little over 100 pounds.  It appears to by a forged anvil. It rings like a bell.

I'll send you photos if you give me an email address.

Paul

I'm in Erie, PA, USA.   As you see it has a heavy horn and no step. I don't have picture under the horn.  I'll post one later.

I haven't done any restoration work expect power washing it.  I'd like to know if I should sand blast it or grind the top plate.

Thanks, Paul

By the way, I'm a degreed Metallurgist.  So if anyone has any steel questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

IMG_3531.JPG

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3536 (002).JPG

IMG_3538 (002).JPG

IMG_3542.JPG

The two "I's" are 1s and part of the old hundredweight weight stamp. Needs a good wire wheeling to possibly make out if there is any maker stamp left to be seen. (If it had one at all) with the pritchel hole (if it wasn't drilled in later) puts it post 1830's Looks mousehole-ish, but many other makers made similar looking anvils. 

Looks like it would be a good usable anvil with just wire wheeling it and pounding some hot metal on the face. That is if the rebound is good. Never know if it could have been in a fire and lost its hardness. 

22 minutes ago, Paul F said:

I'm in Erie, PA, USA

We won't remember this once leaving this post, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. What ever you do to clean her up, do not grind, mill or weld on the hardened face. Hot steel hammered on it will shine it right up. I would just wire wheel it and rub it down with BLO or Ballistol if it were mine.

A good looking old gal you have there.

You are not the first or even the second degreed metallurgist here; so welcome to the insanity!

I would check the pritchel hole to see if it shows signs of punching; if it was drilled as a retrofit it would push the date on that anvil back aways.

The anvil without the cutting step was a fairly common style, Birmingham pattern, IIRC,  vs the London pattern.

I cleaned up the garden anvil and took some additional pictures.  I don't see any further ID marks under the horn.

The hardy and pritchel holes are 0.85" (21.5 mm)and 0.43" (11 mm) respectively.  They are considerably smaller than the holes in my Fisher Norris anvil.

I tried to assess the rebound level.  It's pretty good on the ends.  I'd estimate 75%.  But less so in the center of the top face where it's worn.

If anyone has an idea of the value, I'd appreciate an estimate.  I'd like to tell my friend what it's worth.  I told him I'd make some fittings for his house and barn in exchange.

IMG_3546.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

IMG_3548.JPG

IMG_3549.JPG

I weighed the wrought anvil at 128 lbs.  It's marked with a 1  1.  If that means 1 CWT + 1 Stone = 126 lbs.  That is about right.

While I was at it, I weighed my Fisher Norris anvil.  It weighed 146 lbs.   So does that make it nominally a 150 lb anvil?