I Forge Iron

found a leg vice online for 50 bucks. help me ID it?

CheechWizard

found a leg vice online for 50 bucks and its fairly close to me. i think its s columbian ad there is a C stamprd into it. its pretty rusty but it looks structurely sound. can anyone help me ID/ help me decide on whether i should buy it ot not

vise 08.jpg

vise 09.jpg

vise 10.jpg

vise 11.jpg

vise 12.jpg

I didn't see a C on the post vise; I saw a C on the mounting bracket which can be moved from post vise to postvise.

However the unbeveled shafts are common to Columbians.  Note that there were many manufacturers of post vises and many did not stamp their output.  If you have to have a name brand you are limiting yourself!

If the screw and screwbox are in good condition that is a great price.  Note that good priced blacksmithing equipment is often sold in minutes after it's posted. You may already be too late!

Whether you should buy it or not depends on a lot of information you haven't shared---like disposable income, need for a postvise, etc.

Straightening the handle and leg and making a spring are trivial tasks.

26 minutes ago, CheechWizard said:

its a 8 hour drive there and back.

That certainly changes things. 8 hours, 65mph? ~500 miles? In a truck that is ~100$ in gas, plus motel costs, dinner costs... plus speeding ticket costs for going 75mph to try to beat that "other guy" who is getting off work in 3 hours. :)

31 minutes ago, CheechWizard said:

thoughts?

Looks like a neat old tool. Made of sheet metal though, so it may rattle around a bit if you are grinding metal with it. No rubber contact wheel..so looks like it was designed for flat grinds. Motor may be just for wood..check it it is open face or TEFC. That lower smaller wheel could probably be repositioned towards the back instead..giving you any size belt you wanted.

Nice vise, but that doesn't look like a blacksmithing vise. Actually, those sanders don't look like they were designed for a blacksmith shop either. What exactly is your goal?

In an ideal setting, you would have a mentor guiding your projects, and the tools you buy would directly support those projects. 

It looks like you are randomly buying tools. Those tools will then decide what projects you will be able to make. This is the opposite of where you want to be.

I own a cole vise; but haven't used it for decades as I find a regular post vise to be much superior for *my* needs. It is nice for pipe work or when you need to swivel the jaws to a different orientation. OTOH I love my cole drill and have used it a lot over the years including drilling 1/2" holes in 1/2" plate far away from electric service.

well yes cedar i prefer blindly purchasing whatever over priced gadget that pops up on facebook reccomended ads. after all i do have endless disposable income and nothing but free time on my hands to build my whimsical yet conciously random DIY doo dad factory. obviously ive considered a few mentors... theyre everywhere these days practically begging to be my devoted guru but wheres the fun in that. pressure makes diamonds my friend. so what if i go thru hundreds of pesos before i succsessfully execute a perfect s grinder on a beautiful crucibal steal 1086 layer demascus katana  i forged with a dewalt claw hammer. thats what its all about 

I approve of the last three posts.

Cedar, many times it is a purchase of opportunity. Buy it now for pennies or wait till you need it and spend big bucks on it.

If bought well enough, it can be easily resold if not needed.

• 1 month later...
On 5/27/2019 at 10:41 PM, Cedar Crest Forge said:

Nice vise, but that doesn't look like a blacksmithing vise. Actually, those sanders don't look like they were designed for a blacksmith shop either. What exactly is your goal?

In an ideal setting, you would have a mentor guiding your projects, and the tools you buy would directly support those projects. 

It looks like you are randomly buying tools. Those tools will then decide what projects you will be able to make. This is the opposite of where you want to be.

Cole vices are not for blacksmith work.  I have several and use then all the time.  They are for gripping, not hammering.   Take a look at the jaws, if  they have replaceable jaws, they are not for blacksmith work.  Blacksmith vices were designed with solid jaws and not replaceable.  Which means not usually damaged by beating on them with a hammer.  True blacksmith vices were designed with that in mind.  Bear in mind that any vice can be damaged by hammering on it.  Especially if you do not lock the vice and beat on it while it is open.  This is a good way to damage the gripping edge.  You don't have to ask me how I know, I think my dad's boot print is still in my butt for doing just that.

• 2 months later...
On 7/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, bwpigeon said:
On 7/6/2019 at 8:40 PM, bwpigeon said:

Take a look at the jaws, if  they have replaceable jaws, they are not for blacksmith work.  

Tell that to everyone who has an upsetting vise, bolt heading vise or foot operated vise.