I Forge Iron

Made these small items what's the best finish?

hobb0042

Hi all I'm completely new to metalworking and blacksmithing I've made a few small timings in my spare time, anyway I found an old scrap length of 7mm thick rusted steel along my travels and decided to make some heart based items from it - No forging on this project just plasma cutter and a good old stick welder - They're patina is pretty good I like the well worn look but ive been struggling with the overall finish and look of them I tried applying an oil stain whilst they were hot didn't like it and then a standard black paint finish but was wondering if there was something better I could do to make the details of the patina stand out. The material  was a dark rusted red colour to begin with. Any help would be appreciated thanks guys

IMG_20190521_145030.jpg

IMG_20190521_145010.jpg

A coating of bees wax, or other waxes, can be used. It is best applied when the metal is warm so the wax melts and flows into all the little places. There are mixes that include wax, thinners, and dryers that work for interior use. A site search will list several of these, and specific types of wax that you can use.  Wipe off the excess and buff when it cools.

When you run out of angle iron, look for some light weight I beams to work with. You can cut both the web, and the web and beam. Make two matching pieces, sell them as a pair by calling them book ends. (grin)

Thanks for the suggestions guys really helps I shall look into it more. On another note I want to make a sheet metal piece of art soft of life a portrait and was wondering if anybody has had good results with acid etching as a finish thanks for your help and suggestions guys

To preserve the patina, clearcoat is about the best bet. It will still darken up a bit, but not as bad as with BLO.  I've been using an exhaust satin clearcoat spraycan clear that seems to be the most durable with nice sprayability. It's pricier than other spraycan clears but from my experience it holds up way better.