I Forge Iron

Is this a cast steel anvil.

This was sold to me as a antique anvil and I don't really know anything else about it other than it weighs about 11 pounds. I removed the paint from the forging surfaces and polished them with ceramic polishing pads. There are no maker marks or stamps on the anvil but I'd love to know if it's cast steel or iron. From the little bit of research that I've done it sounds like steel but I'm not certain.  

broken video removed

I'm not sure why the video isn't showing up. I'm going to upload it again. If it doesn't work I'll add photos in the morning. 

I'm a jeweler and not a blacksmith hence the 11 pound anvil. I hope you won't hold that against me :)

It did spark while I'm was removing the paint with a rotary wire brush and grinder.

This might help. It's a screenshot. 

Screenshot_20190519-231951.png

When posting pics, just stills, if you're trying to post video from your phone the file size is probably bouncing. Iforgeiron is seen all over the world, more than 50,000 members and many are on dial up connections and have to pay for it so we try not to burn a lot of bandwidth. Still pics under about 240k are good, we can get a good look.

Frosty The Lucky.

To elaborate, the foot looks like the 11lb cast iron anvils found if you search google for '11lb anvil' but the casting, or at least the paint, on yours looks smoother.  There are some photos of a 24lb anvil with the smooth finish.  the current photo of the 24lb on the grizzly site has a rough finish so yours could just be either from an earlier production.

1 hour ago, BIGGUNDOCTOR said:

I have never seen cast iron take a mirror shine like that. So, unless it is chrome plated I'd say it is steel.

Thank you. This was my thought too. I appreciate the information. I did a little research on spark testing and never having welded I don't think my eye would be able to tell the difference. I also researched New China anvils and I haven't seen one yet with smooth paint like this one.  I'm feeling more confident that it's steel and not iron.  

Difference between a regular steel and cast iron is easy to tell with a spark test; where you run into issues is with high alloy steels or real wrought iron vs cast iron. Neither of which will you see in a cheap modern anvil.

I saw some new ASOs on my trip; the Manufacturer was "Real Steel"; but the anvil is marked cast iron on the box under the Real Steel. They also claim to be makers of "professional Blacksmith tools".  I find I don't trust any of what they say... Of course the "bargain" store wanted US$2 a pound...