I Forge Iron

Rivet forge ID help

medic560

It doesn't show up in the Buffalo Forge catalog #801 1929 either, or the Champion catalog #80. It might be helpful to know where in the world it's located.

https://ia802801.us.archive.org/14/items/BuffaloForgeCoCatalogNo801/Buffalo Forge Co Catalog No 801_text.pdf

https://ozarktoolmanuals.com/wp-content/uploads/pdfcatalogs/Champion_Blower_Forge.pdf

I think I have found it in the Canedy-Otto Forges & Blowers catalog # 8 (no date) listed as the Leader Forge #11 for $14.00 U.S.

That's an awesome find. Thanks so much. Everything from the pan down is exact. The pan I have is different--without a depression around the grate. I suspect it's a variation probably based on a different age. This is a huge help !

• 7 months later...
16 hours ago, Rick Sidebottom said:

Would anybody no the best way to join the leather together to make this belt?

I can not say where to find that info, however, my mom collects old sewing machines and has several of the old treadle machines she has replaced the belt on. They are done by cutting the belt to size, punching a hole in each end then a staple was used to hold the 2 ends together. For wider belts i would say more than 1 staple was used, treadle belts are usually fairly narrow. 

May also try contacting a local quilting guild. The one my mom belong to a lot of the members still use the old treadle machines.  

Could it be retrofitted with a automotive belt? GM has been using stretch to fit serpentine belts for a while now. Take a measurement of what you need and give the local parts store a call and ask if they carry a stretch to fit belt in the size. 

As I recall the book Farm Shop Practice  had a whole section on various ways to lace drive belts together for farm machinery.  Ah yes a pdf of it is available at http://www.woodworkslibrary.com/repository/farm_shop_practice.pdf starting at page 264    Some folks might want to take a gander at the blacksmithing section too (pgs: 201-244)

Funny, the online copy doesn't smell quite a "musty" as the used copy on my bookshelf...

On 12/16/2019 at 1:59 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Funny, the online copy doesn't smell quite a "musty" as the used copy on my bookshelf...

I like the smell of most old books. I appreciate PDF'S and have an e reader but it's not the same.  My local library has a pretty good selection of books online but I still go to the actual library. There's just something about a book that a display can't replace. 

Pnut

I like the possibility of finding books I have never heard of on the same subject in a library as they are shelved together.   Unfortunately the books on-line are really hitting the used book stores; many of them are not dealing with old books of narrow interest anymore and concentrating on best sellers.   The book store I originally found my copy of Moxon at changed hands and now sells coffee and DOESN'T SEPARATE BOOKS BY SUBJECT anymore.  I told them I didn't have 6+ hours to look at every book on every shelf to find what I wanted---cheaper to buy new when you factor in time.

Then my local library decided to not separate SF from general fiction and can't understand why I did not like that arrangement. I told them it worked for finding books by authors I already knew but didn't allow me to find new authors by browsing the genre I was interested in.