I Forge Iron

Finally got me a hammer

Been wanting one for a good long time, finally got the chance to get one. Found a 25 Mayer Brothers local to me in good condition in a working shop. Not much slop in any of the parts, bunch of shims in the caps for the babbits yet. Running on a 110v motor, which is a big plus for me as I'm almost out of 220v lines & I've still got to get the surface grinder wired in. Not to sure of the home made bottom die & holder thingy, but it'll have to suffice for now. Said it's been rebuilt when he got it. 

Got to run it a bit & look it over before taking the plunge. For once in my life, I didnt even haggle (I've argued the price of ice with an eskimo. In Fairbanks of all places). I don't see many power hammers come up for around here & when they do, they're almost always 5k & up. I'm way to cheap for that. 

Tips & pointers are appreciated. 

0425191902.jpg

0425191902a.jpg

20190425_200455.jpg

20190425_201202.jpg

You don't know about the bottom die and tool holder thing but didn't post a pic? Not an issue then. Right?

Main bearings were made to be shimmed. How much lateral slop is in the mains, crank, etc. bearings? 

I gave 7k for my #50 Lg and have done some "improvements", it'll be getting 220v soon as I actually get the dedicated power hooked up. I won't invite the well deserved shouting by mentioning how my shop is powered right now. 

It sounds like it's running pretty smoothly in the video. If it were in my price range I don't see any red flags from here, except maybe that shifty eyed character standing behind it. Don't let him out of your sight!

Are you set up to move and set it in your shop? I laid mine on it's side to haul it home then bolted it to 6" x 12" timbers to bring it to a comfortable working height and cushion the floor. I screwed a gozinta pin to the side to prevent it going walk about. I shouldn't have trimmed the wood base so close to the hammer, I'd like a foot rest. My bad, oh well. 

Be careful rigging and lifting it, once it's right side up on the floor it'll move easily enough with a pinch bar. The wood base doesn't slide as easily as a cart iron base but mine isn't hard to move. A friend just pushes his around while it's operating, his jumps a LOT, a rubber mat doesn't keep it  in place. It's kind of fun to just grab a 50 lb. LG that's bouncing around and twist and shove it into position. 

I HIGHLY recommend you anchor it in position one way or another. It's a PITA having to chase it around, sort of a control issue forging things eh? 

Eskimos enjoy dickering over the price of ice. Messing with outsiders is the state game, we all do it. Stupid tourist questions and creative answers has books published about it. Unfortunately the internet has taken a lot of the fun out of it. When I worked in a service station about 2 miles off the Glenn Hwy on a main feeder road we used to get people stopping to ask stupid Tourist questions all summer long.

WHEW! I almost strolled us all down THAT sidetrack. Some other time maybe. Gotta say I'm really looking forward to evening chats with folk in the next camp site since Deb bought her RV. I don't have to ACT like a crusty old sourdough. I ARE one! :D

Frosty The Lucky.

No the the bottom die tool holder thingy ain't much of a issue. It works, so I'm gonna use it until I find something better. 

It'll be bolted to the floor with a bunch of 3/8" anchor bolts through the cement floor of the current shed. I may do something different once the bigger shop is done. But I doubt it. 

The crank has almost no discernible slop in any direction. If I hadn't spent years dealing with the fit up of machined parts at work, I'd probably not have noticed it. 

When I was a kid, I'd have called this ghetto. Now I call it using what ya got / blacksmith ingenuity. 

My A frame wasnt tall enough to get it off the trailer. So it was a tree, 2 lifting straps, 1 chain, and a 79 Bronco. Set it on a steel pallet & drug it to my shed with the 8n. Then my wonderful wife & myself man handled it to its home. 

Ran it some. Enough to draw out a 7/8" x 4" round bar to 8" in a couple minutes. 

I'm not gonna know what to do with all the extra time......

Best $3000 I've spent in a long time.

20190426_192146.jpg

image000000(3).jpg

Steel military surplus shipping pallet. They're rather solid. My surface grinder is sitting on one &  its somewhere around 4000 pounds (until the new shop gets a new roof). Picked up a couple years ago for 10 bucks a pop. Wish I'd have bought more. 

20190427_115027.jpg