I Forge Iron

Peppie's Propane Puffer

Peppie

Thought I  would share this build with ya all.

After much research, and some great advice from some very trusted members here, I have decided to build a floor mounted ribbon  burner forge.

Total inside cubic in ( after wool,and refactory) will be approx 400 cubic in. The burner will have approximately 20-24 ports (crayon diam) 3" X 8". Fed by 2" pipe. Air supplied by a kiddies bounce house blower.

Two layers of 1"  X 8# X 2600 degree ceramic wool. 1/2" Mizzou refactory, and then plistix 900

20190419_194241.jpg

20190419_193654.jpg

20190419_193719.jpg

The back one is 2  1/2  X 4, the front is 4 X 6.  What size would you suggest?  I sized them based on work fitting in and out. I have a forced air forge that has a small opening in the front, doesn't seem to make the shell hot enough to do any damage. 

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to work on the new forge. Has a few coats of high temp paint. Installed 2 , 1" layers of wool.

Fabbed up the floor/stand. Next will be the insulation for the floor

20190505_143448.jpg

20190505_143652.jpg

20190505_143426.jpg

Considerably less fuel than most homemade burners; not all, but they are the best path for the average newbie.

But, as I've been saying for twenty years, there is no such thing as the best burner (or the best forge) for every use. No one shoe fits all.

I'm just waiting to see your forge running Peppie.

I have a two ribbon burner forge as seen in NARB lives thread and it'll run longer than I want to work at the anvil on a 40 lb. tank without freezing it, call it 6 hrs. It doesn't even cool the 100 lb. shop tank enough to form condensation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Frosty, 

It will be a few weeks before I can lite it up. Wife has me boxed into to a honey-do list. She bought new furniture, and I have a crap load of painting to do just so the color of the new pillows dont clash with the walls.. Go figure??

• 2 weeks later...

Pulled the burner out of the mold today. Looks great. I used Bic Pen Blanks for the ports.I used  toilet bowl wax ring on the form for a easy release agent. 

I thought it best to angle the ports a bit so the flame wasn't pointing directly on the side of the forge.

Got some heat cycling to do next.

20190521_200043.jpg

20190521_200023.jpg

20190521_195846.jpg

TY JHCC

Got her all plumbed in, and setting on its permanent home. Been doing some short low temp burns, after I baked the burner in the wife's oven for a few hours. Shhhhhhhh.

Going to slowly increase the temp and burn time for two more day before turn the inside a nice orange ish white. 

I will post up a video of the swirl soon.

How far off the burner block should the flame be? 1/4"?  1/2"?  1" ? Looking for that sweet spot.

20190524_184927.jpg

20190524_184916.jpg

After a number of heat cycles, I brought this forge up to full temp today. OMG!!

I am very pleased with how it came out, and more so on how it work.

I waited until darkness fell to film this to get a better view of the fuel rich swirl. Tuning is a breeze with the gate valve, and the needle valve. 

This thing ROARS!

Paragon, Yes I can control the gas with the regulator, a long with a needle valve. The air is adjustable via a gate valve.

My understanding is the flame should not touch the burner head. Keeping the casting cooler.

Am I out in left feild?