I Forge Iron

Hello from southern alberta

Bustapepper

Just introducing myself. I'm 34, and am new to this hobby, I built a homemade gas forge out of an old propane tank. My anvil is an old sprocket I cut up and welded back together into a chunk of steel. It's rebound is like 40% but that's ok. A real anvil is on the way. I got the Ridgid peddinghaus #9 anvil. (75kg, or 165 pounds) perfect for me. 

I will have questions as time goes on. Also I look forward to being apart of this community. Also my username is bustapepper because I like things spicy. Cheers

Hi there, how's it going brother? i'm actually extremely new to this site as well like 30min in lol. I built my own gas forge out of diamond plate for the body, angle and plate for the base. i was able to save a mistreated 201 pound anvil from 1926. someone was using it as a cutting table. haven't made much but i'm trying to build the clay spencer tire hammer. welcome man

Busta; peppers are a major crop out this way; you ever come towards this border let me know and I'll stand you to a bowl of green chili stew!

(So far out of a dozen or so Europeans visiting NRAO's Very Large Array and claiming to like spicy foods; we've had 1 finish a bowl and ask for seconds, 1 get half way and the rest get a couple of spoonfuls in and think better of it---this is at a local Mom & Pop cafe in town.  Me, I know I don't consider pain a flavour!)

We also forge chili peppers from black iron pipe as an early project in my "set the hook" smithing class. 

Mr. Thomas Powers,

Your friend probably,  now,  knows that he need need not resort to Thai restaurant dishes to pick out seeds from very hot chilly seeds.

Most of the Thai and other South-East Asian cuisines use birds eye chillies for very hot dishes. Asian grocery stores sell them and they are relatively cheap.

Those chillies are red and small.  most of them are two to two and a half inches long, (some are a little longer). They are pointed and red colored. They are usually sold fresh.

You can dry them on a tray away from the sunlight,  if you want to store them for later use.  Store them in an air-tight bottle,  away from the light,  and at room temperature.

Incidentally, sliced cucumber  is the best fire extinguisher, yoghurt second best and, warm water does not work. They are present in all South-East Asian dinner tables, and hawker stands.

Regards,

SLAG.