I Forge Iron

Is this proper tong orientationfor me. A left handed person?

Bustapepper

Hello. I've been a member for a month or two, and I have finally built by first thing. A set of tongs to use. My question is on the orientation of how the tongs sit in your hand. I hold the tongs with my right hand a I built them in a way where the top reign is towards my thumb. And the bottom is is away from my thumb. Here is a picture of the orientation in my right hand

To note this is the first thing I have forged. And in my mind I figured it is a great excersise to create the muscle memory and techniques to advance in my skill. Thank you to everyone 

IMG_20190417_144301.jpg

Those are correct Busta, good job.

After you isolate and set the jaws a right handed person rotates the stock 1/4 turn to the left to forge the bolster. Left handed tongs get rotated 1/4 turn to the right to forge the bolster. 

When assembled this puts the top rein against your palm under your thumb and the bottom rein in your fingers. See YOUR picture for the illustration of left handed tongs.;)

In this orientation gravity opens your tongs automatically when you open your hand. Also when you grip tightly your hand presses the tong halves together on the bolster so they don't wrack. (wobble on the pivot) 

Forging tongs isn't really a beginner project let alone a good first project. You made a darned nice pair, I'm really going to enjoy seeing your next couple pair. Sure they need some refinement and maybe won't fit the work the way you'd like but. . .  DARN!  You'll be giving lessons in no time.

Frosty The Lucky.