I Forge Iron

How far should flames come out my forge?

jester

Greetings all.

This may be a stupid question to some, but I've just started using a gas forge again.

And it seems the flames/blast comes a fair way out of the forge mouth.

Ill attach some pics as soon as I can.

ive tuned it to sound like a jet engine and she sure does get hot... but yeah, I can see a lot more outward hotness than I though got was normal.

thanks in advance 

Colin

vTppL0u.jpg

HTsiP57.jpg

Welcome aboard Colin, glad to have you. We call that "Dragon's breath" and yes your forge is producing more than is good. Once the forge is up to temp turn the burner down to maintain temp without pumping out so much heat and carbon monoxide.

It's hard to tell from your pictures but you are working in a VERY  well ventilated area. YES? 

Frosty The Lucky.

Hi Frosty!

Thank you for the reply. I love how helpful this community is.

Ok. So, 70psi on the gas reg to get to temp.and then back it down  when it is at temp. Cheers :)

As far as ventilation goes, the shed I'm in is enclosed, somewhat, but has two large windows and a door which are always opened and a fan going to circulate the air.

I've previously been told this is ample... *shrugs*

70 psi on the regulator?!?!?  That would certainly explain the excessive dragon's breath!  Not all burners behave the same way, but most of the NA propane burners I've used or seen tend to operate between about 5 psi and 30 psi in the forge.

2 hours ago, jester said:

My arm hairs will eventually grow back... 

Again and again and again. . . New guys! :rolleyes:

My regulator is probably 30 years old and only 0-20 psig. it runs four 3/4" burners without starving them though I've only run 4 at once a couple times.  I usually run the old T burners about 7 - 12 psig. The ribbons between 3-5 psig. though if I'm going to be running them more than about 5 hours I turn them up to keep them cool, say 5-6 psig. 

Frosty The Lucky.