I Forge Iron

Cast or Wrought Iron Anvil?

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify whether this anvil is cast or forged? Also if there has been a plate welded onto the top?

I was plan on cleaning up the bumps on the face after buying it as it is fairly flat overall but don't know if it's worth it with if it's cast iron. Fairly new to this but I thought the texture on the top looked cast but then it seemed to have handling holes in the sides so I just don't know.

I can try listening for a ring and looking at rebound but it's an hour and a half away to pick up so id rather know before hand.

Thanks for any help. Iv attached some pictures for reference!

pic4.png

pic5.png

pic7.png

pic1.png

pic2.png

pic6.png

pic3.png

First off, I am sure your post will be moved to the anvil section.

I feel safe saying it is not cast iron. Go to the anvil section and read, read, read. Do not grind the face of the anvil. Wire brush it and start hammering hot steel on it. It will clean up.

Add your location to your profile, there may be someone on the forum close by.

Hi, fellow Brit here.  It won’t be cast iron. “Cast iron” is too brittle. It’ll be cast or wrought steel. Looks like a nice anvil.  It looks wrought to me, and therefore I would guess quite old. Maybe mid to late 1800s.  I’d say the face will be probably forge welded hard steel and in the first pic I sort of see the line at the level of the front table, about 1cm thick. Normal. The texture of the face looks to me like a combination of normal work and some rusting at some stage in its life, giving it a slight stippled effect. The edges look really very good, unusually good for an old anvil... and that’s important, more important than a perfectly smooth top, I’d say. It looks like a great find. In my opinion, use it as it is, no need for anything other than a tree trunk to stand it on.

Good looking anvil, possibly a Mousehole (aka The Undisputed King of Anvils) or from someone who trained at Mousehole Forge. As noted, do not grind the face; working hot steel will polish it up nicely. For more info on how to evaluate an anvil in person, check out the Beginning Buyer's Guide.

That said, Welcome to IFI! If you haven't yet, please READ THIS FIRST!!!