I Forge Iron

Wooden mallet

Gerry Slater

More important is the effort given in finding the right piece of wood for the mallet head.  A good tight grained burl, tap root base or gnarled piece with a ton of tight grained visible eyes from limbs (at least 1/2 dozen for a good sized mallet) should suffice nicely.  A good head can be cut, worked green and put to immediate use without issue.  The handle would be best to use at least something air dried to avoid any major twisting.

I use: yard, garage, rummage, etc. sale baseball bats to make mallets. I cut off 6-8" of the fat end, square up the cut on the belt grinder and drill it for the handle which used to live on the other end of the b'ball bat. The remainder makes a decent thwocker though I have a cut down bat for a proper thwocker. I pick up WOODEN B'ball bats at yard, etc. sales for give away prices, my last batch was 6 bats that got tossed in if I actually wanted what I was paying for. 

I must have 8-10 b'ball bats around and the first two mallets haven't worn out in I'm thinking 20 years of occasional use. 

We're talking disposable tools here a 2" x 4" will serve well if not for long.

Frosty The Lucky.