I Forge Iron

Swage block design question

ADHD-forge

I have the opportunity to cut my own swage block on the cutting table at work from 100mm thick mild steel. Now i was wondering what the essential features should be. I was thinking of a couple radius cuts on the side, some v cuts on the other side. And some round , square and rectangular holes in the center. And grinding in a dome on the top or bottom side.

And what are the most important hole sizes should be. I use metric units.

Any toughts?

Or anyone who has a drawing wich i could use or adapt

Thanks guys

The design should be based on your needs for a swage block. So first, determine what you want to make, and do those items require a swage block? if so, what features are needed to accomplish the task? Will you be forming round , square, or rectangular tenons? Hex or square bolt heads? Triangular cross sections?  Spoons, bowls, or other dished items?  I have the blocks my dad made back in the 90's and have yet to use one of them.  They look cool, but I just have not needed one yet.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That looks pretty good.  When I was looking at your diagram I was thinking the lower right corner would be a great place for a depression to do bowls and spoons, etc. then I read your post and saw that you had planned on that already.  

I've ran in to a little snag, the guys from the weld shop told me they cant cut the middle parts with the oxy/acetelene table so i'm thinking to just cut the outside and go to a machinist or find a company with a waterjet if its posible to cut it wit with a waterjet of course

Yeah, you may need a CNC machine to cut them out.  The one I just bought off Etsy (see my post in this section) was done with a CNC machine.  My 11 x11 x 2 swage block only cost $130 shipping included!  That may be cheaper than you having all that work done.  I can give you a link if you send me PM.

Photo removed since its already been posted in another thread

My personal opinion is that you'll be glad you went with the 4 inch thick plate.  I just bought a 2 inch thick swage and I wonder how much heavy abuse it could take.  I don't plan on doing anything that heavy on it, but certainly if you are making THE swage block you'll have for your entire life a 4 inch would be the way to go.  Go big or go home :D