I Forge Iron

Sawyer anvils?

So I have a chance to go look at and hopefully purchase a sawyer anvil next week. I have read through the buying an anvil guides. As well as tpaaat and the like. I know to bring a ball pien hammer and if I can find one before then a ball bearing. 

Is there anything I should know or that I need to look for In a sawyer anvil that would be different from a traditional (read London pattern) anvil. 

Good Morning,

There are many different sizes and shapes. Smaller Anvils are rectangular shape with slightly tapered sides. Larger Anvils are square (ish). There is no Hardy Hole or Pritchel Hole. Sometimes there is a finger groove in 2 sides. It is not similar to a London Style Anvil.

Neil

Depending on the manufacturer. sawyers's anvils were often made harder than smiths' anvils, because tuning a sawblade was a much gentler procedure than hot-forging a thicker workpiece. Not to say that you can't smith on one, but you do need to be aware of the greater risk of chipping an edge with a mis-hit.

None I can post as of yet. I have seen pictures from their listing. I do not have permission from the seller. However if someone beats me out on it I will ask if I can post some pics here. And if I get it you know I'll be posting like I just had another baby. :)

these anvils are harder than most anvils (because hard material is being hit upon them, to an extent work hardening them.) check for little surface cracks or little round chips on the face I have come acrosss theese a few times.

I really like these anvils fto forge on.