I Forge Iron

Repair broken horn

New member, a non skilled welder. I have an unmarked 140 lb. Anvil requiring repair. The horn has been broken off about 50% and the face is badly broken off about an inch along the length. I'd like to know where I can get it repaired. I can send pictures....

Edited by Mod34
Moved to proper section

Well that fellow right over there does great repairs on anvils.  Doesn't help much without even listing the country the welder is in does it?

Folks from over 100 different countries participate here so the answer may be different if you are in Australia, Iceland, Norfolk Island, Hawaii, Alaska, Finland, Spain, Israel, South Africa...etc.  As many if not most smithing questions have a location factor---even if it's just "stop by the shop on Saturday and I'll show you how to forge weld" we suggest you put a general location in your profile.

Also is the body of your anvil cast iron or wrought iron or cast steel?  If it's cast iron; don't waste your money trying to get it repaired and start building up funds to make or get another anvil.

Sometimes ABANA affiliates will have anvil repair days; but that won't help you if you are in Russia.

It will be a lot cheaper just to get a small cone mandrel  (as a hardy tool or to clamp in a vise) than to repair the horn. 

A damaged area of only inch can be worked around. Not worth the cost to fix.

As Thomas said, pics from multiple angles and a location where you are would certainly help. "I know a guy in Texas that does great work on anvil repairs" (which I do), doesn't help if you are located in Alaska.

Welcome aboard Tony, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the gang live within visiting distance.

I might be able to help if you live in this part of Alaska. How about posting some pics so we can help you evaluate how repairable it is.

Frosty The Lucky. 

However; if you have checked out the improvised anvil thread you my com to the conclusion that your damaged anvil can still be used to forge on.

My most heavily damaged anvil is missing everything above the waist. It was once a complete anvil as it's weight stampd and was "Most likely a Peter Wright" according to Mr Postman who gave me his expert opinion at Quad-State one year.

Anyway the waist weld failed. However the top of the base is smooth and considerably mushroomed around the edges---It had seen a lot of forging *after* it was missing the entire top half! (Now I have a Vulcan that I do consider unusable---broken off horn and ridgebacked.)