I Forge Iron

Newbie question.... ringing sound railway track anvil

Hello fellow blacksmiths

Im just getting in to the craft and my father in law kindly gave me a piece of old railway track.

1st question  = would a cheaper angle grinder cut and grind it in to a rough anvil shape??

2nd = how do i get rid of thr ringing noisr when stuck??

Thanks in advance and sorry if this is in the wrong thread

Dan the blacksmith

The ringing sound is a vibration in the track when struck. Kill the vibration and the ring is much less.  Easiest way is to bed it down in 2-3 inches of sand, wrap a some chain around it horizontally, or best bet is to get another piece of metal as an anvil. 

Where in the world you are located depends upon some answers and advice, hence the suggestion to edit your profile to show location. Here in the Ozark's steel for an improvised anvil is plentiful and will work better than track, although track will work.  I suggest reading through this thread for ideas.

https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/

10 hours ago, Deavil said:

1st question  = would a cheaper angle grinder cut and grind it in to a rough anvil shape??

Adding to Irondragon, use rail as is. The idea in blacksmithing is to keep as much mass as possible under the hammer in order to loose less energy as possible through anvil movement or flexing. In third world countries blacksmiths use improvised anvils and small anvils but firmly secured to planet Earth! Youtube videos and internet images show the most fantastic and beautifull rail shaped to anvil objects (very popular with viewers) but they are less useful than the rail used as a whole.

Again read carefully and with full attention this thread https://www.iforgeiron.com/topic/52308-a-collection-of-improvised-anvils/ Anvils shown here are ugly but more functional then a rail shaped as an anvil. 

Ooooh, an angle grinder is always a nice tool to have in the shop...